Reading response-Malcolm X

In the article “Prison Studies” by Malcolm X, he states “months passed without my even thinking about being imprisoned. In fact, up to then, I never had been so truly fee in my life.”(paragraph 6) At this point in time Malcolm is in prison and feels free after reading and writing for an unknown amount of time. His mind is opening up to the reality of the world of the black community in the mid 1900’s. Stuck in the same walls for 6 and half years and yet he feels as though he is free almost to do whatever his mind can imagine. Even those limits get stretched the more and more Malcolm learned raising the roof if you will. He also went on to say “You couldn’t have gotten me out of books with a wedge.”(same paragraph) From not being able to fully read, to be so hooked to books he couldn’t stop his desire to want to read. It does sound like freedom especially if you’re in a prison, it’s an escape if the mind so you don’t necessarily have to deal with the pain and dreariness of prison.

1 thought on “Reading response-Malcolm X”

1. Devin — Please read instructions on how to title WHERE IS YOUR NAME IN THE TITLE?

Be careful NOT to add in what is NOT in MX’s words: Stuck in the same walls for 6 and half years and yet he feels as though he is free almost to do whatever his mind can imagine. Even those limits get stretched the more and more Malcolm learned raising the roof if you will — Where in this quote does Malcolm X say he was in prison for 6.5 years?

And this is par 9 not 6!

Where is your second quote choice?