Chapters 12&13 (due 4/29)

16 Responses to Chapters 12&13 (due 4/29)

1. 2014awu says:

Anna Wu
    HMGT 1101
    Mr. Akana
    NYCCT
    Chapter Summary 12 and 13

Mice are usually not wanted in Hospitality Management, but in this case of it’s acronym standing for ā€œmeetings, incentive travel, conventions and exhibitionsā€ it actually is welcomed in the tourism world. The reason comes from Chapter 12, which says that M.I.C.E. tourist tend to spend more money then other vacationing tourist, meaning more business from events like ComicCon, Sport games and music concerts, where people travel to come see the celebrities. In order to attract customers and tourist the CVBs have to help out first. The Convention and Visitors Bureaus are responsible for contacting clients. meeting with planners and checking out respective places. Their main objective/result is to create and increase the revenues of their city.CVBs also need to help improve the reputation of the city/town by making their image look good and to highlight the historical or interesting facts, places or areas that can appeal to the tourist. Meetings take place a lot and can have several requirements based on the type of meeting it is.

Chapter 13 is all about special events and how event planners work and what they need. Employee in event management have to have good eyesight (vision) and the skills of a leader-manager. First off they write proposals for the clients, ending with a signed contract. They must hold up their end of the bargain and meet the client’s wants (needs) as best as possible. Other jobs consist of sponsorship, booking and budgeting- since events can end up being very expensive. The steps for event planning process, according to the diagram; Research, Design, Planning, Coordination and Evaluation, are all dependent on each other. Overall, for event planning and CVBs and M.I.C.E. All go hand in hand.

2. Daniel Lopez says:

Associations are the main contributing organizations in the hospitality industry, with thousands of members. This includes Government, political, health, education and even union organizations. According to chapter twelve associations date back to the Middle Ages. In the U.S. candle makers from Rhode Island gathered together in the eighteen century; In order to improve health, safe and proper wages. The need for gathering, having conferences and meetings continue to be of great demand and has increased tremendously in recent years. The opportunities of meeting with other people with similar interest and concerns can improve productivity and tends to be a sort of reward/ perk or benefit. The trend of going abroad has also increase with the opportunity to visit different countries and cultures.
    Event Planners and Managers discussed in chapter thirteen are in a profession that require many skills and talents. The future is bright, and those with skills in marketing, financial and legal will be in high demand. There are many concerns and needs, especially in todayā€™s environment with the need of safety and security being top priorities. Event planning is a five step process: Research, Design, Planning, Coordination and Evaluation. To excel above others one must also have knowledge and understanding in technology, time/ financial management and people management skills.

3. MRamirez says:

I never thought of meetings as an important part concerning the hospitality field, but it makes sense that the places where such meetings are held would directly impact this business. Conferences as well as conventions are of importance when it comes to hospitality, I personally love conventions as I have recently been attending the New York Comic Con convention the last two years and this actually makes me realize how broad the hospitality umbrella really is. I used to just think that hotels and cruises were the true definitions for hospitality honestly.
    Now, event planning seems to be just another way to define someone whom is amazing at multi-tasking. There are so many things that this positions is in charge of, and I would assume that’s a role that would be amongst the top as far as stressful. If you have the stomach for this kind of stress then I guess this job is for you. I was aware before I read chapter 13 that this position was heavy with responsibility, but after reading this, the position may be too much for me. Advertising the event seems like something that would worry me, I feel as if that aspect of the job would be the reason I would want to steer away. There would be too much pressure on me to be able to spread the word. As I stand now, I think I wouldn’t know what to express in the proposal as well. Within the third stage of event planning I think the negotiation of the contracts as well as creating the marketing plan would be tough.Ā 
    While thinking of the sporting event aspect, I think this part would be exciting everyday. I usually find the managing of the budget within a sports organization to be intriguing because of the many different variables that are in play so that makes it like math mixed with sports. I personally like math so that would be great. I just don’t want to see myself working in Yankee stadium and not enjoying myself because it’s a job.

4. Chapter 12: I have learned from that chapter that there are five different types of meetings: clinic, forum, seminar, symposium and workshop. Clinics and workshops use the classroom setup. Forums and seminars follow a theater setup. Another kind of meeting is a convention which is held in large hotels over a 3-5 period. Conventions are similar to meeting but they are on a much larger scale, there is often a trade show or exposition included and they are held yearly by associations.
    Chapter 13: The title of event planning was first introduced at hotels and convention centers. An event planner is responsible for arranging an event from beginning to end. An event planner needs to have leadership skills in the following areas: marketing, financial, operational and legal.

5. In chapter 12, they speak about meetings, conventions, and expositions. Meetings are put into place to affect behavior. There are different types of meetings such as workshops, clinical, seminar, etc. Conventions are larger meetings with some form of exposition or trade show included. They are usually held in large hotels for about 4 days. Expositions are events that bring together sellers of products and services at a location where they can show their products to attendees at a convention or a trade show.

I want to be an event planner so my focus and attention was more towards chapter 13. In chapter 13 it says that title ā€œevent plannerā€ was introduced in hotels and convention centers. Event planning is a term that refers to the career path in the special event field. There is a lot of responsibility when you become an event planner. You will have to advertise the event, prepare food or refreshments, provide entertainment and so much more. When you first get a client, you should have a proposal for the clientā€™s approval and a contract so that the client can know from the very beginning what is going to happen physically and financially with their event. One thing that I learned from this chapter is that sponsors are important in event management because they provide money and other things to make the event happen in exchange for something in return.

6. Chapter 12 discusses about meetings and how they are planned and type of meetings. I’ve learned a new meaning of word M.I.C.E which is in other words, “meetings, incentive travel, conventions and exhibitions.” I’ve also found it interesting that there are different meetings such as forum, seminar, workshop, symposium and clinic.
    In chapter 13, it explains about events and how they work together to make the best out of it. Employees must be very cautious about making their customers satisfied.

7. Chapter 12 is about meetings, conventions, and expositions. Since ancient times, people have gathered together to have meetings, expositions, and conventions. The industry of hospitality management has benefits such as education, networking, member services, etc. A service contractor is hired by the exposition show manager or the association meeting planner. They are also part of the facilities management team. Conventions and expositions are mainly held in large hotels during a 3-5 day period.
    Chapter 13 is about special events. ā€œEvent plannerā€ is a title that was first introduced at hotels and convention centers. Someone who wants to work in event management requires vision and leader manager skills. The booking manager is very important they deal with booking the correct space and working with organizers to help save money. Charity balls and fundraising events give you an opportunity for the event manager to work with a specific group. The special event industry is known to be slowly growing.

8. Based on chapter 12, it is about that since the ancient times, people have gathered to attend meetings, conventions, and expositions. There are different types of meetings such as Clinical, Forum, Seminar, Symposium, Workshops. Conventions are larger meetings with some form of exposition or trade show included. And, Expositions are events that bring together sellers of products and services at a location where they can show their products and services to a group of attendees at a convention or trade show. The association is generally organized to promote and enhance that common interest, activity, or purpose.

Chapter 13 is about Special Events. Event planning is a general term that refers to a career path in the growing field of special events. And, its includes a growing demand for current and future employment opportunities. Event management also takes place at convention centers and hotels, where event managers handle all the arrangements after the sales manager has completed the contract. There are three stages of
    Event Planning: The first stage is research stage; Second stage is Design; The last one is Planning. The Special Events Job Market is that allow yourself to gain all the experience you can in the food and beverage aspect of the hospitality industry.

9. Chapter 12 talks about meetings, conventions, and expositions. Meetings are are meant to implement behavior. There are different types of meetings such as workshops, clinics and seminars. Conventions are larger meetings with some form of exposition or trade show included. Most conventions are held in large hotels or in convention centers like the Javis Center.

Chapter 13 talks about Special Events. When running special events it is important to have good management. Having proper permits and equipment is essential to having a successful event. Some events are sponsored by big companies. These companies advertise their product while also being costly. Location, Security, Labor and Production are some costs that need to be considered when holding special events. When planning events it is important to be aware of your budget. Being able to spread your budget is important in order to save money and use your budget efficiently. Other things to consider are location, contract negotiations, catering, entertainment etc. Special events include weddings, trade shows, fundraisers, conventions, concerts, charity events and much more.

10. Chapter 12 & 13

Another mayor area in the hospitality business is convention, meeting and expositions around the country. In order for this events to exists, different bureaus are organize to promote and creates such events, mostly the primary and more important reason is to create revenue. The organization starts with a sale manager who open the invitation for a specific town for the show to take place, meaning that they sell the invitation from a city to companies to promote their products, for political campaigns, education and religious. Also it can be for wedding or any other larger event.
    A meeting planner along with event destination companies will arrange every detail after a contract is discussed and finalized. Arrangements include just to mention some, hotel reservations, flights, transportations and others, this will depends on the type of budget and type of event.
    The event planner have the biggest responsibility for the success of the event, the planner will make sure that all the requirements are met, and have also the responsibility of supervise that everything is going according to the plan. But it will not do it alone, the event manager will share the responsibility along with the event planner of execute every step of the event.

11. Stefania Koziolek
    Chapter 12&13

Chapter 12 is about Meetings, Conventions, and Expositions .
    There are different types of meetings. Each type requires a different structures and supports a different number of participants. The typical meeting types are:
    Clinic ,Forum,Seminar ,Symposium, Workshop.
    Chapter 13 really intrested me. It is all about special events. I learn a lot of new things.
    A special event can be defined as any event where a large number of people are brought together to watch or participate .The special events industry has grown enormously in the past decade.Event planning is a general term that refers to a career path in the growing field of special events .The title event planner was first introduced at hotels and convention centers.
    Event planners need grace under pressure, strong interpersonal skills and a good rapport with clients, staff and service providers like caterers and hall owners . In the future I would like to be an event planner. I know it is a stressfull job. Event planner is person responsible for planning the event from start to finish .There is variety of skills needed to be an effective planner.
    I also learnt that sponsors are really important event menagment. Events can be costly. Sponsoring in event management is a good resolution. Sponsors provide money or in-kind contributions and in return receive recognition including use or display of their logoā€™s.Sponsors expect something in return for their financial contribution.

12. Liz says:

Ligia Cardenas
    May 6, 2015
    In Chapter 12 I learned about meetings, conventions, and expositions. People have gathered to attend meetings, conventions, and expositions since the ancient times mainly for social, sporting, political or religious. According to trends, more people are going abroad to attend meetings. Competitiveness has increased among all destinations conventions centers will expand and new centers will become online. In chapter 13 it explains about special events. An event planner is a general term that refers to a career path in the growing field of special events. In the future an event planner will have great opportunities to work. An event planner is a person who is responsible for planning the event from start to finish, setting the date and location, advertising the event, arranging catering, speakers, and more. Lastly, according to trends the special event industry is forecasted to grow, as clients want even more spectacular events.

13. In these chapters we learn about meetings, conventions, expositions and special events. Some of the benefits of this industry are governmental/political voice, networking, marketing venues, member services, and education. In event management there are three key areas which are marketing, financial and legal. In the management of events, advertising, location charge, security costs, labor costs, and production costs are key essentials. The planning process for this includes, determining budget, selection of event site, selection of accommodations, travel arrangement, negotiate contracts, arrange catering, arrange entertainment, music, audiovisual needs, create marketing plan, prepare invitations and event packets. Some of the challenges and tools for event planners and managers are: time management, financial management, technology and effective human resource management. The classification of events are corporate events, association events, charity balls and fundraising events, social functions like weddings, military,educational, religious and fraternal organizations, fairs and festivals, concerts and sporting events.

14. Germina Leonce says:

In chapter 12/13
    I learned that meetings, convention and expositions have been going on since the ancient times. They were created during the Middle Ages to have proper wages and to maintain good work standards. There are different kinds of meetings such as clinical, forum, seminar, symposium and workshops. I learned that Expositions are events that bring together sellers of services at a big location where they have a trade shows. In chapter 13, is about making sure that customers are always satisfied. Chapter 13 was also about events and making money of the events. Event Planning: The first stage is research stage; Second stage is Design; The last one is Planning. The Special Events Job Market is that allow yourself to gain all the experience you can in the food and beverage aspect of the hospitality industry.

15. In chapter 12 what I found the most interesting and that caught my attention the most is the development of the industry. The development of the industry goes back centuries ago during the middle ages in Europe were created during the Middle Ages to secure proper wages and maintain work standards and then from there starting from the 18 centuries to the United States which was organizes in Rhode island. I also learned about exposition which is an event that brings all business to raise a large part of associate budget.

16. Kevin Chen says:

Chapter 12:
    This chapter is about five different types of meetings: clinic, forum, seminar, symposium and workshop. I also learned about the history behind this starting from the middle ages. The reason why is because to have proper wages and have good working standards. Till today we still have these types of meeting in order to have the best worker in the company.

chapter 13
    This chapter talks about special events. Special events must have good management. Having the right permits and equipment is key to having a successful event. In some case, company sponsor these special events. Knowing the cost behind this, they have to budget correctly in order to gain from this.