Industry Profile Essay (due 3/4)

Industry Leader/Organization Profile

15% of total grade

Due week 5

Task
You have recently been hired by _____ [choose an industry leader or leading organization in the field you wish to start your career with]. As part of the orientation process you are asked to write an essay explaining what you know about the leader/organization and what your career goals are.

Role and Audience
The essay is to be written as if the department head of your desired work location will be reading it.

Format
Follow APA Standards including but not limited to:

• Title page
  • Proper page numbers, spacing and font
  • Citations
  • Reference page
  • Minimum of ~250 words
  • Submit a rough draft, reviewed by a writing tutor, to the back of the final submission.

Expectations

• Inclusion of three (2) reliable/academic sources with reference page
  • Proofread and free of typos and grammatical errors
  • Effective sentence structure
  • Inclusion of proper industry terminology and the understanding of the impact the chosen person or organization has had on the hospitality industry
  • Thoughtful and coherent communication of career goals

Criteria for Assessment
See information literacy and writing rubrics

Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this assignment, students will be able to:

• Discuss the scope of the hospitality and tourism industry through written business communication
  • Gather information from observation in regard to the hospitality and tourism industries from a local, national and international perspective and his/her role within the industry
  • Understand and discuss the roles and responsibilities of key executives and department heads in the hospitality and tourism industries and their impact on trends in the industry
  • Describe key management functions using professional terms and communication standards

3 Responses to Industry Profile Essay (due 3/4)

1. MRamirez says:

I have recently been hired by Trump International Hotel in Chicago as the hotel manager. I am incredibly grateful for this opportunity and have always dreamed in becoming a hotel manager for such a prestige hotel industry. The building is 92 stories and is a structure of stainless steel and showcases a bold style and engaging design. As a hotel manager, I am to deliver friendly, efficient customer service and to create a welcoming atmosphere to all guests. I must also supervise, train and motivate others that work with me, my main goal is to retain as well as attract new customers. Trump hotels are known for their top notch design, as their founder Donal Trump is known for being someone whom know what he wants.
    Donald trump has used his success not only to focus on expanding to places such as Scotland and Hawaii, but he has also ventured into television with “The Apprentice”, a successful television series that sparked the whole “You’re fired” phenomenon. His son Eric Trump is actually executive VP of development and acquisitions which just shows the dedicated nature he has bestowed on his children. His son plans on having a “30/20” plan in which the goal is to have 30 operating hotels by 2020. The dedication that they bestow upon their brand shows in their actions as well as their organizations.
    The first time I stepped into a Trump building was when I was in Atlantic city, Although it is what you would consider a low end hotel, the people that worked in the organization were still trying their best to accommodate my stay there. This made me want to look into the hotel industry as a career. The “Better” lines in the Trump hotels are very high end and I am proud to be affiliated with such a line. Now that I have worked my way up to being hired as a Hotel manager, what I hope to accomplish would be to maintain the appeal that it has already achieved and further the clientele for the future. When people speak of the Ritz-Carlton, they should also speak of the Trump International Hotel in Chicago in the same light. Luxury and hospitality should be hand in handy and that will be present within my hotel.

2. MRamirez says:

References:
    1) Commercial Construction & Renovation. Nov/Dec2013, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p20-28. 7p.
    2) Hotel Management (21582122). Feb2012, Vol. 227 Issue 2, p18-19. 2p.

3. I’ve recently been hired by Resorts Casino Hotel in AC. Striving to better my career options I’m looking forward to a manager position. As a driven college student with a strong work ethic. I am pursuing a BA in Hospitality Management. I can grow professionally and personally with Resorts Casino Hotel. Confident with my work I know I can professionally better if not improve Resorts Hotel. Resorts Casino Hotel is a hotel and casino in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Resorts was the first casino hotel in Atlantic City, becoming the first legal casino outside of Nevada in the United States, when it opened on May 26, 1978. As a visitor this is the first hotel in my list to see before I go on tour around Atlantic CityThe people at the front desk were very courteous and professional. We were able to check in hours before the regular check in time. Security is present.The location is also great! Right on the boardwalk and right next to Steel Pier.t’s an amusement Park in case anyone was wondering what Steel Pier was. The resort completed an expansion in 2004, adding the 27-story Rendezvous Tower, and underwent renovations in 2011, converting the resort to a Roaring Twenties theme.the Resorts site was originally occupied by two three-story wooden Quaker rooming houses, The Chalfont House and The Haddon House.As a student who has no experience trying to step my foot into this I feel I can Demonstrates leadership and professional image to associates and guest. Assist with establishing standard operational procedures that will lead consistent state of conducting business and ensuring those standards are met. Having a great work ethic, I know I can get the job done with excellence and professionalism.

References
    Resorts Hotel Casino website
    http://www.pearsoned.co.uk/bookshop/detail.asp?item=100000000553556