Chapters 4&5 (due 4/15)

15 Responses to Chapters 4&5 (due 4/15)

1. Chapter 4 is about food and beverage operations. In major hotels the person responsible for the upkeep of all lounges, catering, restaurants, room service, minibars, kitchens, and anything else that has to do with food or beverage is the director of food and beverage. This manager works under the general manager but in my opinion has the most responsibility out of any manager. To be a general manager you need to have certain skills and experiences. A food and beverage director needs to have leadership qualities, proper training, prior experience in front office management and most importantly needs to control costs and spending. They must make sure that they are profiting at all costs and also should keep up with common and modern trends. They must go above and beyond to ensure guest satisfaction.

Chapter 5 talks about Beverages. They say a glass of wine a day is beneficial to your health. Wine is a fermented juice of grapes. There are many different types of wine. You can drink red, white, sparkling, fortified or aromatic wines. Wine is one the way to a woman’s heart sometimes. A box of chocolates, flowers and wine is a deal breaker.

2. 2014awu says:

Anna W.
    HMGT 1101
    Chapter 4&5 Summary
    Food and beverage report directly to the General Manager and NOT the resident hotel manager. They manage everything from the kitchen to room service, food plays a big part in Hospitality Management, because if the customers don’t like the food, they will eat elsewhere not spending their money at the hotel. Alcohol is also often the biggest income source for many hotels. The Food and beverage director has multiple assistants and managers who have very specific jobs such as a chef steward who is in charge of the stewards and so on, the chart shows 17 positions, not including all the chefs that will be cooking!! The executive chef is in charge of hiring cook staff and controlling the cost of food cost percentage and labor cost percentage taken in ratios. The formula for “Food cost percentage is expressed by dividing the food cost by food sales” and “Labor cost is measured by dividing the cost of labor by food sales.” The rest explains all the other jobs available and how catering is done in food and beverage.

Grapes are yummy and they give us many other uses, one being raisins when they are dried and shriveled up and the other is wine. Grape alcohol goes way back 7,000 years and is still around today, even though there was a women’s movement against it. Champagne is slightly different from wine and beer but it is only “lawfully allowed to be made in France”. There are many types of alcohol but aromatic wines use herbs, roots or flowers, which is very nature-istic. Wine-making consist of six easy steps*, just kidding, the process takes years to be completed. The first three steps are the quickest, but when it comes to maturing, (after the filtering?) the wine needs to bottled up and left on a shelf to gain the acidity, the longer the time it’s idle, the better it’s suppose to taste. I personally have no interest in alcohol, but I advise the sweeter the better, so I didn’t get the difference between white and red wine, but now I know red wine is from the grape skins. (So what about the green grapes? Is that just white wine?)

*one of the steps for wine and beer making is fermentation – which is Latin for “yeast” and “boil”- the actual process it goes through.

3. Chapter 4 talks about food and beverage operations. One skill that is needed by a food and beverage director is exceeding in guests expectations in food and beverage offerings. In a hotel kitchen the person in charge is the executive chef some of which are called kitchen managers. Catering is an event where people eat at varying times. The catering coordinator manages the office and controls the function diary through a computer. A banquet is a group of people who eat together at one time and in one place.
    Chapter 5 is about beverages. Fermented juice of grapes is what wine is made out of. In the United States, premium wines are named after the grape variety. A glass of wine can be very healthy for you. Beer is made from malted barley and other starchy cereals. Gin is made with juniper berries. Vodka is made from barley, corn, wheat, rye, or potatoes. Coffee shops were originally created inspired by the model of Italian bars.

4. Based on chapter 4, it talks about Food and Beverage operations. The director of food and beverage reports to the general manager. There have many skills needed by a food and beverage director, one of this is that exceeding guests’ expectations in food and beverage offerings and service. A hotel kitchen is under the charge of the executive chef, and some are called kitchen managers. In addition, there are several kinds bars in a large hotel: Restaurant bar, Service bar, Pool bars, and
    Minibars,etc. Moreover, in Catering Department, the director of catering (DOC) reports to the food and beverage director, and is responsible for selling, servicing, catering, banquets, meetings, and exhibitions. Guests are increasingly aware of the importance of sustainable operations of a food and beverage.

Chapter 5 is about Beverages. There are many different kinds of wine. The wine is fermented juice of grapes. Also, it talked about the history of wine, how to making the wine, matching wine with food, how to read a wine label. It said a glass of wine may be beneficial to your health. After that, it talked about the beer, that Beer is a generic term for a variety of mash-based, yeast-fermented brewed malted beverages that have an alcohol content mostly between 3.8 and 8 percent. Final, the nightclub is a popular place to go to get away from the stresses of everyday life for a long time.

5. vivian says:

Base on what I read on chapter 4, it is mostly about food and beverage operation. The director of food and beverage reports to the general manager, they manager everything from kitchen to room service. A food and beverage director needs to have exceeding guests’ expectations in food and beverage offerings and service, leadership identifying trends and budgeting Cost control. They must control the cost and having a detailed working knowledge of the front-of-the-house operations. Chapter 5 is about beverage. Wine is most classified beverage that has different kinds of wine. Wine is made up with fermented juice of grapes. In the U.S. wines are typically labeled by their varietal grape and include the name of the region. There are many different beverage such as beer, coffee,Whiskies, Spirits and Cocktails.

6. Chapter 4 discusses food and beverage operations while chapter 5 discusses more about beverages. Over all the chapter is talking about how a manager deals with restaurants, room service, kitchen, and everything that has to do with food. These chapters talk about how managers deal with different situations that deal with food and whats needed for this position. Also, I found it interesting that wine is actually healthy and how wine was made years ago. I think its important to know about food and beverages in hospitality business and its important to have a serious person to do the job

7. MRamirez says:

Chapters 4 and 5 focused on food and beverages mostly involved within the restaurants and hotels. In chapter 4, it outlined the duties of certain positions including those within the catering in a hotel. The reason I highlighted this position is because I found it interesting that there were different seating arrangements, I was aware that there are different ways to place seats but didn’t know there were three main styles; Auditorium, classroom and Horseshoe. Another thing that I found funny actually was the line that stated that room service was to be profitable, of course room service is profitable! When you arrive to your hotel room, I feel as if you really do not want to leave for much if you don’t have to. If the price of something is somewhat high, you probably will try to talk yourself into ordering it just because of the sheer convenience, I do at least. In chapter 5, wine is the most important part to me because I am very oblivious to anything that has to do with wine. I honestly cannot tell the difference between good and bad wine and its a bit embarrassing so I fully intend to learn more about it. Also found it interesting that French people eat more fat than we do, yet we have more heart attacks than they do. One thing to take away from this chapter is since they drink more wine, this equals less heart attacks…. So I must drink wine a lot more.

8. Chapter 4: In food operations, restaurants managers are in charge of exceeding guest service expectations, presenting annual, monthly and weekly forecasts and budgets to the food and beverage directors, and hiring, training and developing employees. Bars in a hotel are an important source of revenue because it makes more profit than food items or restaurants
    Chapter 5: The manufacturing of wine started about 7000 years ago, the Greeks and Romans helped to make wine popular in Europe. There are six steps to making wine; crushing, fermenting, racking, maturing, filtering and bottling. When pairing food with wine, if the meal is heavy then the wine selection should be heavy as well. White wines goes well with poultry and fish, and red wines pairs well with red meat. Cocktails are a concoction of two more ingredients that is pleasant to the palate. It can be a mixture of liquor wine or juices. They can activate an appetite or it can be a great end to a meal.

9. V.Reid says:

In chapter 4 it talks about all of the managers and what they are responsible, such as the director of food and beverage reports back to the general manager and is also responsible for multiple areas making sure they are effective and efficient. In the kitchen of a hotel there is an executive chef which can be considered the kitchen manager. Restaurant managers are responsible for pretty much everything, making sure the guest have a great time, training and hiring staff, setting quality standards, and presenting annual,monthly and weekly forecasts and budgets to the food and beverage director. The profit percentage on the beverages is higher than it is on food, so it is important to make bars a revenue source. The chief steward is responsible for making sure the back of the house is clean as well as the silverware. They are also responsible for inventory of chemical restock, sanitation , pest control, and forecasting laboring and cleaning supply needs. The catering department reports to the food and beverage director and is responsible for selling, servicing,catering, banquets, meetings, and exhibitions. In chapter 5 it discusses the overall about beverages such as, the different wines and what they would be classified as. Wine making was dated back about 7,000 years when the greeks received the vine from the Egyptians and the romans contributed to the popularization of wine in Europe. Wine is made in six steps: crushing, fermenting, racking, maturing, and filtering. The major wine growing regions are Europe , America , Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Canada , Australia , South America , and South Africa. Wine attacks platelets and wine’s flushing effect removes platelets from the artery wall. Beer is brewed and fermented beverage made from malted barley and other starchy cereals and flavored with hops.

10. Food and baverage is important part of hospitality industry. Chapter 4 is basically about food and beverage. In this chapter i learned who is responaible for which operation. Director plays the most important role in this department. He is responsible for training,motivating, indetifying trends,cost controlling,budgeting. Chapter 5 is more focused on beverage.What i found interesting in this chapter is the history of wine. The fact that first wine was made 7000 years ago amazed me. I also learned that wine is made in 6 steps.

Chapter 5 shows us how every kind of alcohol is made.
    For example vodka is made from potatoes, corn , gin -berries, tequilla-agava cactus. I Think all those informations which i read are really important and helpful.

11. After reading chapter 4 and 5, I have learned a lot about the food and beverage operations. The director of food and beverage reports to the G.M and the general manager is responsible for any departments that had to do with preparing or serving food and drinks. In the kitchen the labor cost is measured by dividing the cost of labor by the food sales. It does not surprise me that the profit percentage on beverages is higher than it is on food items. This makes bars an important revenue source. I knew that in hotels there were restaurant, casino and lobby bars but there are a lot more bars built in hotels that I didn’t know about. In the catering department there are three types of room setups for meetings. There is a theater/ auditorium style, classroom style and a horseshoe style. Caterers always ask for a guaranteed- number, which is the number of guests the hotel will prepare to serve. Something smart that the hotels do is preparing about 3% – 5% additional meals just in case extra people decide to attend.

Chapter 5 speaks solely on beverages such as wine and beer. It’s tells us that wine is fermented juice of grapes. There are four different types of wines such as light beverage wines, sparkling wines, fortified wines and aromatic wines. There are six steps to make wine. The steps include crushing, fermenting, racking, maturing, filtering and bottling. The kind of wine you should drink depends on what type of food you are eating. I didn’t know that beer is a brewed and fermented beverage made from malted barley and other starchy cereal and favored with hops. Cocktails are a mixture of two or more ingredients resulting in a blend. Although it may not seem true, it’s a fact that in recent years, consumption of alcohol has decreased.

12. Daniel Lopez says:

The responsibilities for the Director of Food and Beverage are many. From kitchens to lounges and even up to 16 different managers, under his or her department. Additional skills and leadership traits are necessary in this demanding field; from exceeding customers food and beverage experience, to detail front office operations knowledge. One of the things I found very interesting ln chapter four is that the restaurant manager must present weekly, monthly quarterly and annual forecasts and budgets.

Chapter five covers beverages from cocktails that originated in the 1930’s to Beer, Spirits like whiskey, vodka and of course my favorite wine. Did you know the French drink on average over 75 liters a year and have fewer heart attacks than Americans. Compared to food, beverage is the most profitable!

13. Liz says:

Ligia Cardenas
    May 6, 2015
    Chapter 5&6

In chapter four I learned about food and beverage operation. The director of food and beverage reports to the general manager and is responsible for the efficient and effective operation of the following departments: Kitchen / catering, restaurant / room service / minibars and lounge /bars/ stewarding. One of the things that I find interested is that to be a food and beverage director you must have more than just skills. An F&V director must have a leader personality, motivation, having a detailed working knowledge of the front of the house operations, cost control, budgeting, and more. At the other hand in the kitchen there is also a person responsible to help with other tasks. In a hotel the kitchen is under the charge of the executive chef. An executive chef do controlling cost as an essential part of the operations, labor, making sure the food is at top for customer and more. In chapter five, I learned that there is a variety of beverages in the restaurant business. According to the reading the very first records about wine making date back about 7,000 years. In the past years the Greeks received the wine from the Egyptians, and later the Romans contributed to the popularization of the wine in Europe. There are also beverages for those people that don’t drink alcohol. The Nonalcoholic beverages include: coffee, tea, carbonated soft drink and energy drinks and bottle water.

14. In these chapters we learn that the director of food and beverage is encharged of the effective operation of thee kitchen/catering/banquet, restaurants/room service/ mini bars, and lounges/bars/stewarding. A hotel kitchen is under the charge of the executive chef, controlling labor costs and food costs. Food is supposed to be charged twice (30%) as much as it cost to make. Furthermore, regarding beverage aspects, there are many different types of beverages such as wine, light beverage wines, sparkling wines, fortified and aromatic wines, beer, whiskies, white spirits such as gin,rum, tequila, vodka brandy and much more. Turning to the bars and beverage operations: bar managers have to rely on bartender skills. If the customer has a problem, such as being drunk. It’s still the responsibility ir a bartender and the bar manager to take care of them and the people who they damage. Moreover, banquets are groups of large parties that dine at the same time. Some of the trends in this aspect of the industry are food trucks, marketing and more.

15. In chapter 4 there are several things that I have learn however there was one thing that stand out to me the most and that was the director of food and beverage and what are there responsible for there following department. I found out that the general manager has a lot of responsibility to handle in there department looing over the kitchen, restaurant/room service/ mini bar and also the lounges. Also looking over the organization chart the food and beverage director is in charge of the chef of the industry or business and also the small manager that are in charge of each and every department that is In the business. A big surprise for me was also the different types of bars that are in the hotel from lobby bars to all away too catering and banquet bars. In Chapter 5 it mentions the different types of wines and beer. Since I am not a wine drinker at all I was really fascinated on the different types of wines that were introduce to me In the PowerPoint I never knew about how in the United States the premium wines are named after the grape variety and also interesting facts about the history of wine where it started in Europe and also in Egypt.