NYC Attraction Submission

20 Responses to NYC Attraction Submission

1. Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentleman,
    My name is Jocelyn Romero and I am in charge of making sure you have a wonderful experience in some of the attractions of New York City. My suggestion to you is a restaurant called The Modern, which is located in 5th avenue and 53rd street, Manhattan, next to the Museum of Modern Art and near Central Park. The location of this fine dining restaurant is where a lot of important business in New York City occurs and the place itself shows the type of fast pace culture in which New Yorkers are involved. The uniqueness about this French, American restaurant is that it has two kitchens and dining rooms: one where you can experience fine dining and have those important business meetings, and the other one where you can experience a casual lunch or dinner with your friends or family. In one kitchen it may take longer to prepare the food but that is because they are focusing in providing you with fine delicious plates. The other kitchen may be faster because although they know you want the same fine dinning, they also know your time is gold and they won’t waste it. This restaurant also has a wide variety of wines which all are well placed inside a crystal clear long cabinet along the wall behind the bar.
    The Modern is one of the many restaurants in Manhattan where the majority of their customers are business people, although one of their dining rooms also makes it more suitable for tourist customers. Furthermore, the hospitality you can experience here starts since the hosts receive you. There is also a person who does coat checking at the entrance and is very gregarious. Their professional and well-mannered attitudes make it easy for you to feel welcome. You have the option to ask if you would like to seat at a table in one of the two dining rooms, or the bar. However, it is mostly recommended to call ahead for a table reservation since it can be a very busy place. If you are just casually walking by then the bar is not a bad option. As you walk in all the servers and managers smile at you politely and treat you with courtesy. If you have a seat at the bar, one of the bartenders will immediately offer you water and give you the bar menu. One of the choices they have as drinks with zero alcohol and that I recommend is called Re-Fashioned which has pomegranate and orange zest. This is an acidic/bitter drink but its great if you are not so much into sweet drinks. Once you have your drink, they give you soft bread and butter to keep your patience until they bring the food you order. My recommendation for an entrée is Herb-Roasted Chicken that is prepared with a classic recipe called leek gribiche. The texture of the chicken is crunchy at the first bite yet, soft and juicy in the inside and the leek on the side is a good complementary. As you eat, the bartender makes sure everything is well and you are enjoying your meal. To finalize your dining experience I can also recommend the sweets they offer in the menu, that’s if you feel full and just want to satisfy your small sweet appetite. The sweets that come in the plate are Berry Chocolate Bark, Dulce De Leche Caramel, Pumpkin-Spice Macaron, and Stroopwafel. The Berry Chocolate Bark gives you a sweet and watery feeling in your tongue, the Dulce De Leche is an addiction due to its chewy texture, the Pumpkin-Spice Macaron gives you a tingly feeling in your tongue and the Stroopwafel melts in your mouth once you give the first bite. The presentation of all the plates is great due to its neatness and the portions are just fine, not too much and not too little. The prices may be a bit high but it is worth it because the food, environment and service are great. The only area that could be improved are the seats at the bar since they seem a little fragile but at least they can handle you through a whole meal.
    I hope you ladies and gentleman enjoy this wonderful New York City attraction and make the most out of your visit. Thank you and have a great day.

2. a.montano says:

If you come to New York City, you must arrange a time to visit the well-known toy store FAO Schwarz, located in 59th street in 5th avenue near the apple store. The owner, Frederick August Otto Schwarz had a vision that he wanted to bring to life and that was to bring joy to children by creating the perfect toy store while creating a theatrical experience. When he emigrated to the U.S from Germany, he and his brothers successfully opened their first toy retailing business, Toy Bazaar. After the success of their first toy store, he moved to New York and opened Schwartz Brothers-Imported. The store moved to a larger location throughout New York City several times. By 1900, he renamed the store FAO Schwarz. He passed away in 1911 but his legacy lives on and he will always be considered one of the many legends in the toy industry.

FAO Schwarz mostly caters to children of all ages but it has evolved to a must-see tourist destination. This toy store continues to be well-known for its “high-quality and timeless treasures.” Children have a different experience here compared to other toy stores. Many toy stores feels more corporate in the sense that the moment you walk in and buy the item; there isn’t a memorable experience attached to the toy. FAO Schwarz, you are greeted with real life toy soldiers who welcome you to this memorable toy palace. The employees interact with the children by introducing them to the latest toys and giving the toys a test drive. Beyond the introduction, the store feels like a never-ending toy palace where there are hundreds of toys ranging from classics to current. The toys are displayed in a way where it tells a story; not like other stores where the items are stacked up. For instance, in the second floor there is a Barbie/dolls section where the classics are located in a glass frame and the consumers can see the development of that particular toy and right next to it is the current version. It is refreshing to visually see the history and/or stories that are displayed for the item as well as the employees educating the consumers as well.

What makes this attraction unique is the overall experience for not only children but adults as well. Normally, a toy store consists of items that are stacked up with possibly a printed advertisement next to it. The consumer is expected to purchase an item and continue on with their day. FAO Schwarz is the complete opposite. Children are first attracted to the story-telling, demonstration of the toy and lastly purchase the item. A memorable story with a toy included will be a memory that any child can cherish forever. Besides the main target, adults also can enjoy this wonderful toy store especially when they have the opportunity to take a trip down memory-lane and see the many classic toys and candies from their childhood.

Whether you are a child or an adult, the great thing about FAO Schwarz is that you feel equally welcomed and appreciated once greeted by the toy soldiers standing in the entrance. It almost feels as if you are welcomed home. Once inside, the employees are constantly welcoming you in every section you come across such as the Legos section, Barbie, Build-a-Bear etc. Something I really appreciate is the flexibility of employees demonstrating the functions of a toy whether or not it is packaged especially giving the consumer a try to test out the toy. Personally, I believe that FAO Schwarz is doing a fantastic job by welcoming every costumer who enters the toy store. This is Frederick August Otto Schwarz vision of what the perfect toy store is and based on the many people that come visit this attraction, I believe they feel the same way.

Although it is a toy store, I highly recommend children, adults and families to visit this wonderland place. Age does not matter in this toy store since there will be something that will satisfy everyone. A child will be attracted with a toy item and the adults could enjoy the many treats found in FAO such as candies and Sugar and Plumm, or even the smiles that come across their children’s faces. A memory that they can all cherish together.

3. New York is a great place to visit and it has a lot of different and interesting attractions for people to explore and learn new things. I would recommend to visit Madame Tussaunds which located on West 23 Street in the city where also most of other attractions take place. Madame Tussaunds opened in 2000th year in the heart of Times Square. This museum has 8 different types of wax sculptures and they are called an Opening Night Party, Film and TV, World Leaders, Spirit of New York, Pop, Culture, Authentic History, sports and music. All of these categories are unique in their own way. Different people have different views and different things they would want to see and actually learn about it.
    History of this museum began in Paris in 1770, that’s where it was learned to model wax likenesses by Dr. Philipe Curtius. She started at the age of 17 when she became the art tutor to King Louis XVI’s sister during the French Revolution and that’s how basically this museum was created in the beginning and now there is more than one museum but its not only in NYC.
    When I visited this museum I have enjoyed everything about it from the beginning to the end. There’s a lot of interesting things to do and read about each wax sculpture that is located there. The museum also shows a 3D cartoon with seats that react to each sound that is expressed in the cartoon. So whether you are a child or an adult, you wont be bored there. It has a lot of different singers for people who are fans of any type of music, people who are into history and much more. I personally enjoyed music level the most because I have found most all of the singers I am listening to and when I took a picture near the wax sculpture it seemed so real as it’s a real singer standing next to me.
    The atmosphere there depends on the theme. People who work at the place try to make your tour to their museum very memorable, they in the beginning take a picture of you and hulk, the hulk is placed in position with open hand and in the picture is looks like the hulk is holding a person in his hand which makes it funny. I just think it’s a good idea to go to this museum because it has everything about NYC there, like the American dream. Not in every country there is a wax museum with American background and popular stars. Also about pricing, prices are very decent so its something that every person would be able to go to.

4. So you are visiting New York City and want to check out some of what the city has to offer, let me suggest that you visit the Museum of Sex. It is a step away from the usual, better known museums but you are guaranteed to have a good time. The Museum of sex is located on the corner of 27th street and 5th avenue in Manhattan. The museum first opened its doors in 2002.Upon walking in the museum seems like a regular store that offers adult toys but on the left there is the actual entrance to museum itself. The exhibitions are located on different floors, which I thought was fun. After looking at one exhibit you either go up or down a short flight of stairs to the other. There is also a café/ lounge in the basement which “explores the relationship between sex, sensuality and food and drink”. It has a board of advisors that comprises of scholars and historians. They help curators find the proper sources for the museum’s exhibitions. Between 2002 and 2009 the Museum of sex has produced 20 exhibitions and 6 virtual installations.

New York is well known as a city that is well into the art culture and art is known to push the envelope sometimes. I think this museum does just that, it is a way for people to focus on the artistic side of sexuality. New York is known for having some of the best art museums and with time the Museum of Sex has the potential to be amongst them.

The attraction’s point of difference is that it is a museum that is focused on sex and sexuality so some of its exhibits are a bit raunchy but not so much so. The museum aims to “advocate open discourse surrounding sex and sexuality as well as striving to present to the public the best in current scholarship unhindered by self censorship”.
    It seems as if the target demographic for this museum is people between the ages of 18 and 30. I spent thirty minutes outside waiting for a friend and during that time I saw a lot of people walk by and seemed intrigued. I noticed that the older people probably around 35 and older just acknowledged the building and then kept walking. But the younger people would stop and then go inside. Even though some would walk out a couple minutes later most of them stayed. The visitors I saw inside the museum were younger probably no older than 28, there was also a group of college students. Then elaborate, who you saw walking in while waiting, who you know that went.

The workers I spoke to were very nice and professional. There was a bit of a mix up when I went in to pick up my tickets. But it was quickly taken care of and I didn’t find much of a problem waiting for the problem to be solved. This could have been because the gentleman that was also standing behind the counter while I was being helped made an effort to converse with me. An area that I think needs improvement is how they get the information so they can give you your tickets. Your confirmation number is in an email and when you go in you show your email and then you receive your tickets. I think the confirmation number should be written down so the tickets can be found so the clerk is not holding on to your phone for 5-10 minutes. It was not a huge problem but I think that can be done differently.

5. vivian says:

One of the must-visit sites in New York City is Chelsea Market, located between 15th and 16th street on 9th Avenue, in Manhattan. It is just a short block wide walk from the Hudson River in the place called Meatpacking District. Throughout the years, Chelsea Market’s historical events and its famous indoor food halls has become one of the greatest places to search of mouth-watering foods. This attraction has brought 6 million national and international visitors annually. Therefore, it is very natural to see this market being packed with people.
    Even though some food halls have high pricings, but the fact that cannot be denied is that the food exchange market inside Chelsea Market actually are compared cheaper than outside supermarkets. It’s hard to believe that in one of my favorite shops, some yogurt cost five to eight dollars for each, but as long as I know it is fresh and healthy, then after all, it is all worth it.

6. If you live in New York, then you must know New York is a great place;and there are a variety of attractions for people to visit. One of the place that I visited, also is just what I’d like to suggest people to go is “The Plaza Hotel Food Hall”. Which located on Midtown West 59th Street 5th avenue in Manhattan. The plaza hotel food hall, have no obvious signs, if from the famous cross revolving door to enter, you may have to turn around the hotel lobby can be found. I suggest that people can walk a side door, when taking the escalator down to the first floor, can see a “new world” of food court.

When Todd English opened a food court inside the former Plaza Hotel two years ago (May 23th, 2012), our interest was piqued but the fancy setting and high end food proved to be a lunch that had to be splurged on. The restaurateur Todd English Food Hall offers a diverse range of quality specialty foods and prepared dishes for take away or to enjoy in one of eight seating areas, including: Wine Bar, Cheese & Charcuterie Station, Sushi Bar, Burger Bar & Rotisserie, Asian Noodle and Dumpling Bar, Pasta Bar, Brick Oven Pizza, and a Fish and Seafood Grill.

Although the history of this place not long, but still have significance to the New York. And also, there are a lot of people come. When I visited this food hall that I immediately to enjoy everything from this place. The following in the The Plaza Food Hall: Luke’s Lobster, Pizza Rolls, Vive La Crepe, Sabi Sushi, etc. In addition to these, here also covers the most famous pastry shop in New York: FP Patisserie, Lady M, Billy’s Bakery, La Maison du Chocolate. I can’t tell you how excited I was to find all of these under one roof. In this food hall, it is brought together from different parts of the food.

The attraction’s point of difference is that this place have comfortable and elegant dining environment, diversified food certainly makes it the food court at the highest level. There also are collection from different parts of the food, let people taste all kinds of taste. Moreover, you can see people of different ages were gathered here- children, teenage, adult, old people… Anything and any services are good, the only area that could be improved are the place can be more large than now, expanded more and make more and more sites.

The Plaza hotel food hall is a good restaurant, I hope you will to visit and enjoy this place.

7. There’s an interesting museum about Jewish culture. The Museum of Jewish Heritage which is a living memorial to the Holocaust. The Museum of Jewish Heritage, located in Battery Park city in Manhattan, New York City. The Museum honors those who died by celebrating their lives, cherishing the traditions that they embraced, examining their achievements and faith, and affirming the vibrant worldwide Jewish community today. Since the Museum first opened its doors in 1997, visitors of all ages and backgrounds have gained a perspective on 20th and 21st century Jewish history and heritage. The location of this museum is great because you are overlooking the Hudson River. So throughout the museum you will see long tall windows with a beautiful view of the Hudson River and the Statue of Liberty as well. Even though the museum focuses on one specific Religion/race, the museum is open for anyone who is interested in learning the events of the Holocaust.
    One of the reasons why this museum is significant to us here in New York is because we often here about the holocaust and the Nazis and this museum brings us closer to the true facts of this horrific act of violence that took place. It gives us a look at the people involved and how it all started and how it ended and how it has affected the Jewish community today. During the Holocaust approximately 6 million Jews were killed for just being who they are. They were sent off to concentration camps where they were starved, worked and gassed to death in a form of genocide to end the Jewish race. It is important for us to know the facts of this event so that we know how to handle a situation like this if it were to ever happen again. We need to sympathize with the people all over the word who are being oppressed as we speak. As human beings we should understand and fight for each other’s freedom and save one another in times of crisis.
    The Museum’s collection contains more than 25,000 items about modern Jewish history and the Holocaust. Many of these items rotate into the Core Exhibition, while others are featured in temporary exhibitions. One exhibition which is a must see is the Garden of stones. Outside the museum there is a display of big stones with trees growing out of them. This space is meant to be experienced differently over time as the garden matures. You can view the garden from almost every floor of the Museum. The effect of time on humans and nature, a key factor in Goldsworthy’s work, is richly present in Garden of Stones, as the sculpture will be viewed, as well as cared for, by future generations.
    During your visit you will notice how big and spacious the museum is making it so beautiful with shiny wood floors and very well organized exhibitions. If you happen to get hungry while on your visit to the museum you can have a Nosh at the Heritage Cafe. The cafe offers a full menu of delicious options for breakfast, lunch or a snack. They offer a variety of bagels, salads, sandwiches, pastries, and gourmet coffee drinks. You can eat inside the cafe and enjoy an amazing view of the Statue of liberty or you could just take a snack and continue your visit of the museum. The food served at the cafe is Glatt kosher and delicious and open from 10am to 3pm Monday through Sunday.
    If you decide you like one of the artifacts you can pick up duplicate ornaments at the gift shop located on the first floor of the museum. The Gladys and Morton Pickman museum shop offer a wide variety of Judaica jewelry, books, music, DVDs, and toys for children. If you happen to realize that you wanted something else from the gift shop after you already went home, don’t worry you can also order online and have it delivered to your home.
    For people like me who really enjoy the view of the water and the city and the statue of liberty well today is your lucky day. The museum also, rents out the space for Galas, receptions, conferences, weddings, and more events. Spaces include a 5,000 square foot events hall, a 375 seat theater, and an outdoor terrace with adjacent indoor space. The museum even holds benefit events each year. It holds fundraising events that help support the institutions mission of preserving Jewish history. You may check online for any upcoming events.
    Although the museum is a work of art the museum would not be what it is if it wasn’t for the people who have worked together to put it all together. For the employees who care for the museum. Once you enter the museum you are greeted by Security who makes you walk through a machine just to make sure no one is carrying around weapons. Then you walk into the lobby which has up to five receptionists who each sell tickets and greet you with a smile and make you feel comfortable. They have a bunch of brochures which are free for you to take which explains each exhibit in the museum. They also offer complimentary coat check, which is very convenient so that you won’t have to carry around your jacket or bags which may cause some discomfort while walking around this big museum. You may have a tour guide who can take you around the museum explaining in detail and they are very knowledgeable and friendly. The security guard walks around to make sure that everyone is acting accordingly and not breaking any of the museum rules which are no photos of any of the artifacts. The museum is more of a self service unless you are in a large group. So you may walk around roaming taking your time to observe each and every artifact.
    The museum is really great for anyone seeking to learn more about Jewish heritage. The museum is open Sunday-Tuesday, Thursday 10am to 5:45pm and Wednesday 10am to 8pm. The museum is closed during Jewish holidays and closes early on the eve of major Jewish holidays. The last admission to the museum is 30 minutes prior to closing time so make sure you plan ahead before your visit. The museum charges $12 for adults, $10 for Senior citizens and $7 if you are a student. They also offer free admission every Wednesday from 4pm to 8pm. The best way to get to the museum is by public transportation because the parking around the neighborhood is very difficult. You can take the 4 or the 5 train to bowling green and walk west along battery place. You can also take the R train to rector street and walk south down Greenwich Street toward Battery Park.
    If you really enjoy museums and learning history this a great place to visit. The location is beautiful and you may even find other activities around the museum such as catching a ferry to the statue of liberty after your visit to the museum. Make sure to wear comfortable clothing and shoes for your visit because it will require you to walk around a lot. If you’re a student or a senior citizen make sure to take your photo Id to receive an admission discount. Last but not least have lots of fun, I hope you enjoy this recommendation.

REFERENCES

http://WWW.MJHNY.ORG
    A Town Known As Auschwitz, courtesy of Miroslaw Ganobis, 1912 (Brochure)
    http://WWW.mjhnyc.org/spacerental
    Visitor Guide Core Exhibition Brochure
    This is Jewish Culture downtown Brochure, Mary Weinmann and Edith Wertheimer, Magdeburg, Germany, 1920
    http://history1900s.about.com/od/holocaust/a/museumjewishher.htm
    http://www.ny.com/museums/museum.of.jewish.heritage.html
    http://www.batteryparkcity.org/new/Visit/Museums-And-Memorials/Museum-of-Jewish-Heritage.php
    http://www.nyharborparks.org/visit/muje.html

8. Stefania Koziolek

New York offers a variety of activities and attractions. One of the most popular attraction in New York City is American Museum of natural History.This museum is yet another example of how diverse New York is and how appreciative they are of culture and history.  As everyone knows, this museum is famous, popular, and huge.The American Museum of Natural History is one of the world’s preeminent scientific and cultural institutions. Since its founding in 1869, the Museum has advanced its global mission to discover, interpret, and disseminate information about human cultures, the natural world, and the universe through a wide-ranging program of scientific research, education, and exhibition.
    The Museum is located on Central Park West between W81st and W77nd streets. The museum is an excellent place to open oneself to many new ideas and cultures The museum is very big and a lot of time is needed to get the most out of it .
     The first floor has American Northwest Coast Peoples, Eskimos, Human Biology and Evolution. The second floor had African Peoples, Asian Peoples, Mexico and Central American Peoples, and South American Peoples. Finally, the third floor had Primates, North American Eastern Woodlands And Plains Peoples, and Pacific Peoples. The museum also included many other interesting exhibits that did not have to do with anthropology like the Dinosaur Hall. All these exhibits in the museum had detailed information on each exhibit whether it was a big sculpture or a little skeleton. There was also films that could have been seen for a small price, but if one has the time it is very educational and worth seeing.The museum in an overall view gave me a better understanding to anthopology as a whole. Each exhibit had detailed facts about the culture and the people.

My first trip was with my friend, she came from Europe last summer to visit NYC. A wonderful experience, as well as educational .We spent about 3.5 hours there and that was skimming through the signs quickly . For the second time I went there with my family. My favorite was the second floor that of the sea animals. The blue whale was just magnificent and the exhibits in this hall were just impressive in general.  The dinosaur exhibit was also great and very impressive and highly recommended .
    I think it is a good place to have fun with family .It’s really geared up for everone :school trips and families, turist.I also love the fact that this museum only suggests a price and allows each individual to pay what they can. “Suggested” price for tickets is around $22, but you if don’t feel like paying the full price, it’s whatever you’re willing to put out. In an ideal world everyone would have access to art, culture, history and science without worrying how they were going to afford it.
    I think this is actually a can’t-miss attraction if you are in New York City.This museum is one of the most fulfilling museums in the nation. It is a big budget museum that thoroughly explores history with displays that leave a lasting impression .From cultures of people to outer space to dinosaurs to animals, to earth components, this museum has it all; it covers all sources of history. It is famous for a reason.

Refrences:

1.http://www.amnh.org/
    2.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InX3LE0ayRQ

9. New York City is stacked with different cultural and trendy restaurants. The list goes on and on of places you can go to. One of the places I ended up going to was TAO Downtown located on 92 9th avenue on the corner of east 16th street. Tao is in a great area in New York City. It is in between the High Line and the Meat packing district. That area has many different cultures living there. It is a mix between Asian and Eastern European. That area also attracts college students and a younger more trending crowd.
    New York City is known as the city that never sleeps. A business in New York survives mainly on its nightlife and cuisine in this area. “Designed by Rockwell Group, TAO Downtown offers a distinct sense of arrival and discovery and is the first TAO venue where guests descend into a multi-level space. The subterranean restaurant, located in the heart of Chelsea, is intended to look and feel as if it has been there for decades and only unearthed recently to reveal the artifacts within. Upon arrival, guests immediately encounter a long corridor with a dragon scale patterned screen and Chinese calligraphy murals mounted on weathered brick walls.”
    When you walk into TAO it has a very dark ambience. You walk through wooden tunnel and at the end is the host stand. Through the tunnel they have very weird Asian pictures and sculptures. Once you’re in if you walk to the right they have a bar and lounge area. This area has little tables and couches for casual cocktails and appetizer ordering. If you look straight ahead when you walk in, you can see the entire restaurant. You have to walk down a double sided staircase. As you walk down there are some tables elevated on the staircase. They have a very large dining room and all the tables are cluttered together. They have a huge Buddha statue in the back of the restaurants and holographic lights lighting up the Buddha. TAO is a mixture of all different Asian cultures and I was bit confused about which was their main focus. They had a very broad menu. You can get sushi, pad thai, steak, and even duck. I had the duck.
    TAO is a very trendy kind of place. It mainly attracts a younger crowd and a wealthy crowd. We went with a group of 14 people and with appetizers, drinks and entrees our bill came out to be 1,200 dollars. I personally wasn’t impressed with the overall experience of TAO. When I think about eating out a fancy restaurant pad thai and Asian food doesn’t come to my mind. From a culinary standpoint it is a very decorative food but the price doesn’t match the quality. Something like snow peas in a basket shouldn’t cost 12 dollars. The duck my friend and I shared cost 38 dollars a person. It was good but the Chinese place around the corner from me makes it much better for much less. I personally think it is a restaurant for girls to go to considering there were mainly female parties there.
    My experience at TAO was overall a good one since it was spent with good friends. The service they provide there is outstanding and there food was great. They make very good drinks as well. After learning about all these things to look for in restaurants from school kind of took away from my experience because I went in there with an analytical mindset.

10. Liz says:

New York Water Taxi
    New York Water Taxi (NYWT) is an affiliate company of The Durst Organization Inc. A partnership venture between Douglas Durst and Tom Fox, NYWT has been a New York fixture since 2002, beginning with a spunky fleet of five distinctive black and yellow checkered vessels. Today, the iconic 12-vessel fleet also includes the vessels of our sister organization Circle Line Downtown.
    Their mission is to provide entertaining, stimulating, and enlightening ways to see New York City’s dazzling skyline, celebrated bridges, and lush waterfront parks, while maintaining a community-conscious fleet that honors our cherished waterways. Their professional crew and staff provide the best customer service this side of the Hudson by maintaining only the highest standards for our customers and ourselves.
    The All Access Pass is a great way to spend a day and an even better way to access New York’s top areas and attractions. In addition, because you get to decide how long you spend exploring each destination and neighborhood before you get back on the next Water Taxi, the All Access Pass allows you to be the creator of your own tour and adventure. Going from Midtown Manhattan to Christopher Street, Battery Park and Brooklyn. You might not recognize Christopher Street from the Top 10 roundups of New York attractions and that is because it is one of those best-kept secret neighborhoods that tourists do not usually get to; it is a recent addition to New York Water Taxi’s stops and a worthwhile stop on your tour of New York. Christopher Street is the oldest street in the West Village, known as the symbol of the city’s Gay Pride and home to a beautiful outdoor park on a pier and some fine boutique shopping options.

The Battery Park hop-off stop gives visitors easy access to the 9/11 Memorial site, as well as several amazing historical sites, such as St. Paul’s Chapel of Trinity Church, where George Washington worshipped and 9/11 responders sought solace. On a less somber note, some of the best bargains in the city can be found at nearby Century 21
    Address: 89 South Street, Pier 17, New York, NY 10038
    Phone 🙁 212) 742-1969
    Hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm Mon-Sunday

11. The Museum of Modern Art also known as MoMA was a dream come true for a group of people. MoMA was built on West 53rd street in Midtown, Manhattan right in New York City. There were three individuals that sponsored art and felt strongly about it being showcased for the world to see. Ms. Bliss, Mrs. Sullivan and Mr. Rockerfeller Jr. decided it was time to establish an institution devoted only to modern art. The three along with a group of others created the Museum of Modern Art in 1929 and ten years later on May 10th, 1939 opened the doors to the public for the first time. MoMA’s founding director, Alfred H. Barr, Jr. expected this museum to be dedicated to help all people understand and enjoy the visual arts of our time. After going there myself, I honestly think what he expected came to past because million and millions of people continue to visit this NYC attraction everyday and everyday that is someone learning something new about visual and modern art.
    This museum was amazing because it was kind of different from you average museums. This institution is solely about modern art. On the third floor there were original games that you were allowed to play such as Pac-Man, Tetris, etc. There was also this dress named “Kinematics Dress”. It was made out of nylon and digital applications. There is actually a website that you can custom design and make your own jewelry. The price varies depending on if you want jewelry that’s already made or if you want to design it yourself. When I was on the second floor I looked out the window and saw the tallest rose that I’ve ever since. Of course it was made out of steel and metal so when the sun shined on it, it was so pretty. The rose is located in the Sculpture Garden.
    Two things I saw in MoMA that I did not expect to see was the Google Maps pin, the IEC Power symbol super sized and the board flight information display system. This museum includes over 150,000 paintings, sculptures, drawings, photographs, architectural models and drawings and design objects. MoMA owns about 22,000 films and four million film stills. Film stills are photographs that were taken on or off set on a movie or television show during production. The Brand MoMA is so huge that the museum itself has six floors, not even including the mezzanine, theater 1, theater 2 and three classrooms they have three places to eat and dine and multiple bookstores in Manhattan.
    I believe the demographic target for this museum is everyone. As I said before Mr. Barr expectations was for everyone to understand and learn about the visual arts of our time. While I was walking through the museum all alone, I saw many groups of teenagers who were probably on a class trip, tourists and a couple of elderly people. I did not remember seeing any little children but that’s probably because of the time of day I went. Just like every other museum I have been to there is always tight security. Every corner I turned around there was a woman or a man dressed in a suit “standing by”. There were signs all around the museum reading “Please do not touch”. Once I entered into the museum and got my ticket, the staff helped me get to where I needed to go. One lady explained to me what was on each floor and recommended that I start on the third floor where the games were. I feel that everyone in there was very polite and actually happy to be working there. Everyone should go visit the Museum of Modern Art at least there are so many things to learn and al though there are a bunch of signs that says “ Please do not touch”, it is a hands on type of museum.

12. Kevin Chen says:

If this is your first time in New York City, you have come to the right place. There are many attractions in New York City you can go to but one of the most visited attraction that tourist go to is the DUMBO area. Around Dumbo there are many things to see and do.

One of the best attractions Dumbo has to offer is the Brooklyn Bridge. Many tourists come visit this bridge to go enjoy the beautiful view and take amazing pictures of the piers of Manhattan and Brooklyn. As you come from Manhattan to the Brooklyn Bridge, you will definitely remember everything about the Brooklyn Bridge. As you walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, you will reach the DUMBO area. DUMBO is home to many local stores ranging from mom and pop shops to high end restaurants. As you walk from the Brooklyn bridge, its leaves you off in the Dumbo area. What tourist love to go once they get off the bridge are a couple of things. One of them is the Brooklyn Bridge Park where people can take there children and love ones and walk around in this amazing scenery. Along the way of there are children’s playground, seats to enjoy the scenery looking at the Brooklyn Bridge or looking out into Manhattan. The Park is pretty long so it takes time. The park has a lot to offer depending on the season. The park has many things from concerts, the beach, piers where you can play sports, local playgrounds, Fulton ferry landing and even Jane’s Carousel.

Once you are done enjoying the Brooklyn Bridge Park, you can enjoy many restaurants. You can go somewhere very expensive like the River Cafe Restaurants and enjoy the view of the water/Manhattan while enjoying your dinner and drinks or you can go somewhere cheap and tasty like the famous Juliana’s Pizza. Either or there are many great restaurants in the area just these two restaurants have one of the highest ratings in the DUMBO area.

The demographic for DUMBO ranges for all ages because every person can enjoy this neighborhood no matter the age. This area has everything for every age. Every person that visit this place is either very friendly or very nice. It is a place where people can relaxed. I remember seeing this couple who were tourists and they were nice and they didn’t know a speck of English due to the fact that they spoke Italian. they ask this middle age couple and they were trying to speak English but couldn’t fully say the proper words. They ended up pointing to the location and the middle aged couple decided to take them there themselves so they wouldn’t get lost. For the restaurants, it is a bit different here. Since the River cafe and Juliana’s Pizza is usually busy, they try to give there best when it comes to customer service. Since the waiters are running around trying to complete orders/clean up (etc), they cant always remember things. I feel like they should improve there tone of voice due to the fact that there are other customers and they have to take care of there sections. When i was there, my waiter was dealing with 6 tables and when it was my time to order, his tone of voice made me feel like I should hurry up and order. Also the body language made me feel like I should hurry. If I was in his shoes, I would understand since it is a busy night and everything so i decided to brush it off but it still annoyed me a bit.

13. 2014awu says:

Anna Wu
    HMGT 1101
    Mr. Akana
    City Tech

Concierge Marketing Assignment: Shalom Japan

New York City is called the melting pot for a reason, not because everyone is cooking up a storm or because it gets so humid in the summer, but due to the fact that NYC has so much diversity. Families that immigrated to the US, looking to create a better future for their families ended up bringing heritage and life to the east coast. If you also believe that the country or color anyone was born with, doesn’t add up a whole person, then there is no greater representation of non-prejudice than the restaurant called Shalom Japan. Shalom Japan is a small place located 310 South Fourth St. Brooklyn, NY 11211, easily accessible by the J, M, Z, G, and L train lines. Shalom in Hebrew means Hello and is mostly used for greeting others politely. So the english translation is Hello Japan. Now, without thinking too much about how cool it is that the chefs and owners: Aaron Israel and Sawako Okochi, are Jewish and Japanese, let’s review some history.

During WWII, the US was fighting against both Germany and Japan. The Nazis desperately tried to rid the world of Jews and the Japanese armies helped them. So one would naturally think there would be tension left between the two, yet there is none at Shalom Japan. This collaboration allows the two races to mix their cultures and it’s amazing, especially when mixing kosher food with ramen noodles. The location of the restaurant is placed nearby South Williamsburg, which is a perfect target demographic, since the neighborhood is mostly occupied by Jewish people. It is also wheelchair accessible since there are no steps to climb.

On my visit to Shalom Japan with a friend I noticed that it was very dark because they lights were dimmed and we went at night because they close at 11 pm. Walking through the doorway, there hangs a Japanese cloth curtain with Japanese characters, giving off an asian vibe. The hospitality I received was great, as soon as I sat down the bartender, dressed casually, offered me a glass of cold water. As we were deciding what to eat, the bartender was kind enough to go over everything on the menu and answered our questions about portion, price, ingredients and taste. The food was delicious and the music was softly playing in the background. My bar seat had a nice view into the kitchen and when the chef brought out our dishes they gave a clear description of everything in it. At the end, they gave us a card to write down our information to stay in touch, which will encourage customers to return and eat at Shalom Japan again.

Although I had great food, it turned out to be very expensive and still left me with hunger. The bartender was kind enough to refer us extra appetizers, without telling us how much it would cost. Overall, the place is very very small, so I would recommend building more space, so that the servers won’t bump into others. My biggest disappointment and area they should improve in is the atmosphere of the restaurant. I felt it wasn’t very authentic and true to it’s name. There were no cultural paintings, no Hebrew letters anywhere and the music was pop modern, they should play J-pop, koto or jewish music instead, to give a cultural experience along with their food.

References:

Israel, A., & Okochi, S. (2013). Shalom Japan: About Us. Retrieved April 22, 2015, from http://shalomjapannyc.com/about/

14. germina leonce says:

For my NYC attraction, i choose the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. I choose it because in the late 1800’s the botanic gardens was an ash dump. over the years its has come to represent one of the very best urban gardening and horticultural to the community.The Brooklyn Botanic garden blooms in the middle of one of the largest cities in the world. The land was bought in 1864 by Dr. Charles Stuart Gager he was first director. The garden was first known as the institute park. the Brooklyn botanic gardens opened in 1911. The native flora garden was the first established section in the gardens. Each year more than 750,000 visit the gardens. They have more than 12,000 different kinds of plants at the gardens. Over the years the Brooklyn botanic gardens offers a lot of the the public programs. All years long their are many tours , concerts, dance performances. Every spring The Brooklyn Botanic garden celebrates the flowering of the Japanese Cherry trees with their annual Sakura Matsuri also know as the Cherry blossom Festival. This would be the best time to go visit the Botanic garden.And each fall is spiced up with our multicultural Chili Pepper FiestaA few of the “Many Gardens within a Garden” include the Children’s Garden, tended each year by about 450 kids, ages 3 through 18; The Cranford Rose Garden, exhibiting more than 5,000 bushes of nearly 1,200 varieties; The Herb Garden, with more than 300 varieties — “herbing” is apparently taking the country by storm as people rediscover medicinal, culinary, and other uses; and The Japanese Hill-and-Pond Garden, a beautiful creation featuring a Viewing Pavilion, Waiting House, Torri, shrines, bridges, stone lanterns, waterfalls, pond, and miniaturized landscape. Families and individuals can take a variety of self-guided tours, and many classes are offered to satisfy any level of interest, from beginner to advanced. Botany, Landscaping, Horticulture, Composting, Herbs, Crafts, Flower Arranging, Art, Photography, and other subjects are thoroughly covered. A calendar of year-round special events and tours wraps up an outstanding public program. Membership is available for individuals and families at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. As well as the opportunity to belong to a great organization, benefits include free admission to the Garden, special members-only hours and events, discounts in the Garden Gift Shop and at the Terrace Cafe, and discounts on classes and programs for adults and children.

15. Perryn G. says:

Indoor Extreme Sports
    For my NYC attraction I chose Indoor Extreme Sports. As the title suggest, it is a recreational center for sports such as paintball, laser tag, and archery. Established in 2012, home of the former NYC Paintball, Indoor Extreme Sports has taken the concept and recreated it in a new adrenaline pumping sports arena, and it is also the only paintball and laser tag facility in NYC. If you prefer the active experience when visiting NYC and your middle name is “Danger” then this is the place for you. Each activity ranges at about $40 per person and are about 1½hr long. The employees are also part of the experience when participating in any extreme sports. They provide the proper instructions so everyone can have a safe and fun experience. When participating in zombie laser tag the employees are the hordes of zombies that are stopping you from reaching you goal. It is recommended to call and make reservations if you are traveling with a group, especially if it’s a group of 5 and more. If you are traveling by yourself it is still recommended that you call just to make sure there is still space available. Indoor Extreme Sports is a family friendly zone, where you can spend the day having nothing but a good time full of laughs and fun.

Reference
    http://indoorextremesports.com/

16. Daniel Lopez says:

Not long ago the gateway and entrance to this great land was known as Ellis Island. Who would have imagine an Island once used for catching oysters and fish, would one day process over 12 MILLION people; with the hope of new beginnings in the land of opportunity. Only a few hundred meters from the Statue of Liberty and the shores of New York and New Jersey. One of the greatest culture significance not only to New York City, but to the greatest nation in the World. This was known as the Island of Hope!

From 1892 – 1954 Ellis Island was in operation off the tip of Manhattan, sitting on 27.5 acres. This island was once used for hanging pirates. Then it became a fort, a strategic move in preparation of the British invasion otherwise known as Fort Gibson. When it was not needed as a Fort, it then became an ammunition depot. Then In 1890 it became an immigration station.

People came from all over, mostly from the southern and northern parts of Europe. Trying to find new beginnings, hope and to get away from persecution, hardship and oppression. The average cost was about twelve dollars and sixty cents. Interestingly enough first and second class passengers did not have to be in-processed and checked.
    Accommodations: Included a Hospital and a massive kitchen, one that provided a healthy and nutritious meal. For many this was a great comfort after a long journey; with an average trip from Europe taking eleven days to arrive. Everyone was medically screened and checked for over … known diseases. According to many travelers one checkup known as the “button-hook” this was a very painful procedure, requiring a tool used to turn one’s eyelids inside out. The average time to clear Ellis Island was about five to eight hours. The first person to be in-processed was none other than Any Moore, she came from Ireland and was only fifteen years old traveling with her two younger brothers. As a token of appreciation she was given a gold coin with a value of about ten dollars. Not a bad way to start new beginnings.

Getting to Ellis Island is very easy, but I must warn you lines can be long, best to go early. If you take public transportation one can access point to Ellis Island is via Battery Park, west side of Manhattan next to Wall Street. Trains 1, 4, 5 and R stop nearby. The second ferry departure is from jersey….. Hours of operation are from 8am-5pm Monday-Sunday? If you go online to statue cruises. One can purchase tickets ahead of time and receive discounts. Cost is eighteen dollars for adults. If interested one can purchase the Hard Hat tour that enables you to walk the grounds for about forty nine dollars.

The ferry takes about a few minutes and also stops at the Statue of Liberty. The view on a clear day from Battery Park is beautiful, you can see Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, also what makes this attraction unique is that you get a sense of an era long ago, with many visitors from all over the world.

References:
    http://www.nps.gov/elis/planyourvisit/fees.htm
    http://www.newyork.com/resources/history-of-new-yorks-ellis-island/
    http://mason.gmu.edu/~sdiehl/209/ellishistory.html