This text was rather interesting when it came to Amy Tan and who she is as a writer and how she became one. She has a keen interest in language. She even gave a talk to a large group about her book called “The Joy Luck Club.” The story seemed to mostly be about Amy Tan, her mother and how they became English people and in a way, Amy Tan’s mother inspired her to be an English person. In page 1 it states “But to me, my mother’s English is perfectly clear, perfectly natural. It’s my mother’s tongue. He language, as I hear it, is vivid, direct, full of observation and imagery. That was the  language that helped shape the way I saw things, expressed things and made sense of the world. I consider the genre of this text to be autobiography as it is written from a person in there perspective.

Amy Tan would use “simple”, “broken”, “limited”, and “proper” English. When she uses the term “Mother Tongue” she is referring to the English that her mother speaks. However, she was not too happy with her English. In page 2 it states “I was ashamed of her English. I believed that her English reflected the quality of what she had to say That is, because she expressed them imperfectly her thoughts were imperfect. And I had plenty of empirical evidence to support me: the fact that people in department stores, at banks, and at restaurants did not take her seriously, did not give her good service, pretended not to understand her, or even acted as if they did not hear her.”

Amy Tan wrote this article to her readers to showcase even if people are showed to something that they known all their life by someone other than themselves, as long as they have faith in what they can accomplish, that’s all that matters. I don’t speak other languages aside from English, but do try to learn Spanish. I never texted in Spanish, but when I tried it on someone I did not know, it did change has they did not understand what I was saying to them and they did not even known what you were even saying.