In the article “How to Read Like a Writer” Bunn states “You are already an author.” He’s basically saying that any form of writing we have done such as past essays, paragraphs, poems etc makes us an author already. This is because we already have a “built-in advantage when reading like a writer” Bunn then continues. Because you have already written many things throughout your time in school, this contributes to your acknowledgment and choices you’ll make when writing. In my opinion this is accurate because in the last few months of school when I would have to complete a writing assignment, I usually would write off what I already know about writing and would utilize improved techniques I recently learned as well. I can say recent essays and paragraphs I’ve completed have helped my writing skills improve by a ton. When reading in writing class I would look out for the context, the purpose and the intended audience. This is significant when reading because it’ll determine techniques you will and will not use in your writing. An advice Bunn highlights in the article is to “carefully examine the things you read, looking at writerly techniques in order to decide if you might want to adopt similar techniques.” I would like to try this when reading next time because I think it’s a smart idea and could probably change my writing for the better! Another advice Bunn gives is to “consider the genre of the text.” Genres such as whether the text is a poem, essay, novel, etc. This is important to look out for when reading like a writer because you’ll be able to look for specific things, within the reading, due to the type of genre. This can also affect your writing. 

Notes:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CWNd2um2azT_VGOCUIgwrxO-sxULpyLMezdw9dYUV9s/edit