P1 Comp 1 – Janae Harrison

Thesis Statement :

The U.S justice system is constantly growing but some flaws still remain.Β  Though the U.S justice system was built in order to punish those who’ve committed crimes there are innocent people being put behind bars.Β  Thankfully we have the science to prove their innocence and that’s by using DNA. Bringing awareness to this issue can help a lot of innocent lives.Β Β Β Β 

5 thoughts on “P1 Comp 1 – Janae Harrison”

1. Hi Janae,

I think your infographic is incredible! I love your topic, your use of negative space and the overall look of the infographic.

– Your topic of wrongful convictions is definitely an important topic to talk about and I admire your ability to effectively tell that topic. The information is clear and I like the call to action at the end.
    – I think your choice in statistics are good. I also think that the way you visualize them is really cool. I especially like the 1 out of 5 stat (though it looks like there is a scales graphic Easter egging behind it – not sure if it was intentional or not). All of the graphs besides the 1 out of 5 looks like its leaning towards the right though so if you can scooch that a bit to the left it would look more centered.
    – I think the hierarchy is great since for the most part we are following the standard of left to right and top to bottom. I do think the way you styled the copy vs the header is a little contradicting since the header is in light and the copy is in bold, yet the header is larger and the copy is smaller. Maybe switch that and see how it looks? You also have a hyphen in the first stat and a widow in the first paragraph of your call to action. Minor fixes because overall I don’t have anything to say!

I think you did an incredible job covering the basics of such a tough topic and why we should do something about it. Good job Janae!

2. Hi Janae,
    Based on what I saw in the google drive
    I like your topic; the information is clear. The text is simple to read and understood. Also, your call to action at the end of the graph was great! I’m not sure what’s the little balance scale icon behind the DNA icon? Is that a mistake? Maybe you can move the background down a little bit or scale it a little bigger.

3. Hey Janae,
    I think your final design is great. Very interesting choice of color pallet, I think the earthy tone gives a little vintage vibe and it works well. Your title’s font, I almost want to say slab-serif fits well with the topic and legible. I do have some minor suggestion, up to you:

“367 FULLY EXONERATED” – instead of having an hyphenation I was just bring the word ‘evidence’ downing line

“1 OUT OF 5” – the text is kind of repetitive since you already mentioned 1 out of 5 but the text can start from ‘prosecutors’

“13 YEARS” – do you need it? (personal view)

“3494 TOTAL YEAR” – text is repetitive, same same as ‘1 out of 5’

“TAKE ACTION” – I think because the amount of the text it would be easier to read if it was not centred.

Over all I think the information you provided is very interesting, I hope that in the future there would less conviction, and forensic DNA testing would just improve. The icons, fonts and color very well, I’d just suggest to have a little more hierarchy. Try to resize some icons, maybe work with a grid and see how it goes.

Your topic and poster was defiantly one of my favourites.

4. Janae –
    All great comments above.

Beautiful info-graphic. Really well done!

A few thoughts:

1. Make sure everything is perfectly centered left to right. Right now it feels like a few sections are off.
    2. Check your bg image to make sure you have given a comfortable bleed all the way around. I see a sliver of white on the left side.
    3. You seem to have a few awkward hyphens and widows. Make sure to clean those up.
    4. I think you should provide a little more information about ’13 Years Sentence’ – why 13? It seems like a little more context here would be helpful.
    5. This section should read: “367 is the number of people wrongfully convicted that have been by DNA evidence in the entire U.S.” Can you also add a date here? Was that for 2020? I think you should specify.
    6. This section should read: “70% of the people exonerated through DNA evidence are minorities.”