COMD3504 - Section OL69 - Spring 2022

Discussion 2b – Xiaofei Wang

What is Design?

In my opinion, any behavior with thought can be called design in generalization. For designers, design means that designers have a goal and plan to carry out technical creation and creative activities. Designers use their knowledge, experience and talent to solve problems and achieve goals. The task of design is not only to serve life and business, but also to create artistic works. However, there are essential differences between design and fine art. Fine art is the self-expression of an artists through works. Fine art works usually are not created to achieve any certain achievements, it’s just an expression of artists’ inner emotion feelings. Nevertheless, the goal of design is to solve problems with a certain logic. Designer during creating process is facing many factors to consider: business, demand side, users, etc. Designer also needs to have communication with users in order to improve user experience. Sometimes design and fine art can be somewhat intertwined, because design is completed by designers using their own professional skills and knowledge, so the designer’s own aesthetic, preferences, inspiration and even values will also be involved in the design. This leads to another difference between designer and fine art, design serves for people, so it needs certain criteria, principles and norms to support. As opposed to being free to express emotion to fine art works as an artist. Overall, design is a creation with rules and responsibilities, based on the premise of achieving a certain goal.

1. Simon Lei

As I was reading through your response ive noticed that you touched on a lot of points that I found interesting. For example you mentioned that its a designers job to solve problems with a certain logic. In our field of design there are many avenues to go about creating work, but you must be logical in doing so to achieve whats needed.

2. Gloria Rosario

Hi ,

I enjoyed reading your post and agree when you say that designers use knowledge and experience to solve problems and apply this to their design and that designers need to be involve with users in order to that personal experience.

3. Nathalie Quito

Hello! I also wrote about the difference between fine art and graphic design being the structure designing has while fine art is more freestyle. However I feel the result is rather the opposite were graphic design doesn’t have an exact expectation since many designs could work. I can see your point how fine art could also be as free spirited since it’s also a form of expression.