Robin Michals | COMD 1340 Photography 1

Lamichhane_Samridha: HW1-Composition

https://www.suzannesteinphoto.com/New-York-Street-Two/i-wQSHpFq/A

Suzanne Stein, “New York Street Two”. The picture looks like it was taken outside, most likely on the sidewalk of the city, as in the background you see rods that are placed for construction. The image showcases a person up close to the camera, where the person has piercings all over his face, and tats all over his upper body. Piercing can be viewed as a style such as a nose rings or earrings, and the person may have these piercings to show his style and from my perspective, it is very unique  from most, as not a lot of people tend to have more than five piercings on their face. The feeling I get when I look at the picture is uncomfortable or unsettling because I wouldn’t like to have that much piercing on my face and it looks very painful to have.

The moment you look at the picture, you see a figure up close which shows one of the Photographic compositions known as “Fill the Frame.” The person is very close to the camera, and you can see all the details on the person’s face, such as the wrinkles, eye color, and the piercings. Another Photographic composition that you notice is the, “Dominant Eye.” You can see the dominant eye on the left side of the picture as it’s bright and you can see the being very clear with a lot of detail such as the reflection from the eye. With lots of piercing on the face we see another Photographic Composition known as, “Patterns and Repetition.” The piercings are shown at nose, lips, cheeks, forehead and eyebrows, and the color of the piercing is silver, which is one of the colors that we see the most. These elements can help you analyze the picture and can help you understand the image better, such as lots of silver piercings that showcase the use of patterns, which lead to show the person love having piercings, and it could be him showing off his style.

1. rmichals

I feel pain too when I look at this photo.

Later in the semester, we will talk about wide angle distortion. This photo uses it to get effect. Get close to the subject with a wide angle lens and you can distort the scale or size relationships. Whatever is closer to the lens looks much bigger than it is and whatever is farther away looks even farther away than it is. This is why his head looks like it is floating over the body as well as the shallow depth of field that make the body out of focus. Even that one eye looks bigger than the rest of the man’s face.