Robin Michals | COMD 1340 Photography 1

Marcel Roman_HW1-Compositions

For my assignment, I chose a portrait photograph by Suzanne Stein. Suzanne Stein is a social documentary/street photographer currently in New York City. Through her photography, Suzanne captures the intensity and emotions of those living and suffering with addiction on the streets. The portrait I was drawn to the most was from her ‘Kensington’ project, where Suzanne captured the raw life of Philadelphia’s drug ridden side of the city. The portrait instantly reminded me of a time I lived near the same area of Philadelphia and how I would avoid the ‘zombie-land’. The photograph I chose, by Suzanne, was one of a subject’s portrait, where I believe their intention is to show a side of beauty even through disasterous circumstances.

Suzanne encapsulates the subject’s beauty with a close-up portrait, in the highlight of a sunny day in Kensington, Philadelphia. This method of portraying the subject creates a tremendous contrast between the subject and their environment. What is key in this photograph is the ability to see these contrasts and understand the difference between a subjective- and objective-view. My biased opinion is that the subject is attractive, whereas some others would see the subject and look at them in distaste for being from the drug infested environment, or even in pity for partaking in such drastic activities.

The photograph depicts a young brunette with European facial features and freckles over the ridge of their nose. The subject holds a sultry gaze over you, with parts of their hair billowing over their face. The photographer chose this subject as part of their ‘Kensington’ photo project, so I am to assume the subject is also one of the unfortunate citizens of the ‘zombie-land’. In the portrait, the photograph uses a few compositional aspects as once, such as “Center the Dominant Eye”—centering the subject’s eye along an intersection—“Fill the Frame”, where the subject is taking up the entire portrait, and “Figure to Ground”—using the darkness of the subject’s hair to contrast with their skin tone and face.

Linked below is the photograph, by Suzanne Stein, and their project on ‘Kensington’.

https://www.suzannesteinphoto.com/Kensington/i-Zbw5sVG/A

1. rmichals

Well stated. Stein does bring out the subject’s beauty as well as her basic humanity. Stein wants us to acknowledge this woman as a person like ourselves instead of as you say rushing by the individuals suffering with addiction or in “zombieland.”

And yes Stein centers the dominant eye and fills the frame. She also and I would say this is characteristic of her work has the subject emerge from the dark.