Robin Michals | COMD 1340 Photography 1

Brand_Brianna: HW1-Composition

Kensington – Suzanne Stein Photography

The image and photographer I chose to write about is Suzanne Stein’s ā€œKensington: Chelsey Allegheny Ave”. Along with all of Steinā€™s photographs being disturbing it holds the real and raw truth of people’s lives. Her work makes you step back and think about how there are people around the world who are suffering this way, she gives us a front-row seat to reality. Stein’s image ā€œKensington: Chelsey Allegheny Aveā€ is a close-up of narcotics in a woman’s hands being ready to be used at that same moment; it made me feel uncomfortable but realize how real the world is. In this world there are two types of people; people who want to make something out of themselves and people who just gave up on life. I believe that Stein’s intent was not to capture these people in mockery but to document the human condition of people who are suffering. 

Based on the Steve McCurry video, McCurry used the most important elements of design which were Frame within the Frame, Leading lines, and Patterns. The image I chose from the video is the timestamp of 1:17-1:20, the photo of two people in the middle of a circular door frame with square windows on each side. The square windows depict a pattern of small diamond-shaped holes that reflect its shadow on the floor also causing leading lines. The overall image was taken from the point of view of the frame within a frame, I chose this image because it almost makes you feel like you are inside the same room the photo was taken in.

1. rmichals

You state Stein’s intent well. She want to document the humanity of those who are suffering.

In the second paragraph though, the idea was to use the elements mentioned in the Steve McCurry video to describe the photo that you selected.