Here are a few things to add some clarity on assembling your type books, which are due completed by Wednesday, April 5, 2017.
Using the entire page, create a balanced and well-conceived cover with the following information:
- You can title your book: The Typography Book of … (add your name)
- Type & Media, COMD1167-D146
- Professor Mary Brown
Once you are certain you have all the pages and they have been revised, then you can print them out. The page for Legibility: Type and Color should be printed in COLOR. You can have the printing done at Staples or FedEx if you don’t have access to a printer.
- Print on one side only
- 8.5″ x 11″ is the page size
- If you have to print your files at Staples or FedEx, you will need to save your final files as PDF documents to print from.
- Once all your pages are printed and assembled in the correct order, you have to get the binding done.
- Get plastic/acetate for the cover (clear) and back (black).
- Get coil binding
- It may take more than 1 day to get your book bound, so don’t wait until the last minute.
- You can refer to the previous post that includes the proper order of the pages. You can also download a copy of the handout.
Every type book exercise is to be included. All of the exercises are listed below, including the very last one, which is a poster showing all that you’ve learned so far from this project. The titles are based on the assignment sheets. Some of those handouts included more than one exercise. Hopefully this list is clear. If you have questions, please ask for clarification. Use the handout as a guide for the number of pages included for each exercise
- Front Cover
- 5 Families (5 pages)
- Variations (6 pages)
- Alignment 2
- Leading (2 pages)
- Tracking (2 pages)
- Type on a Path
- Legibility (in color)
- Type Color
- Grid (2 pages)
- Embellished Quote
- Putting it All Together Poster (a typography poster design that incorporates everything you have learned about typography. In the 5th column, the Title will be Putting it All Together. You will use columns 1-4 only for your design). Use the name of your character.
These books will be printed out and bound along the short left edge, where we left space for such details. They should have a clear vinyl front cover and a black vinyl back cover with spiral binding along the left side. You can print the pages out in class, in lab or your own printer. The only page printed in color is the Legibility: Type Color page. The spiral binding is done at Staples or FedEx Kinkos. Don’t wait until the last minute to get this done because they may require that you pick it up the next day.
The finished books are to be submitted no later than Wednesday, April 5, 2017. This is right before spring break. All projects submitted late will have lowered grades.
The mid-term exam is scheduled for Wednesday, March 29th. It will cover all that we’ve learned so far. Please take the time to review your notes, the reading assignments and the updates or videos that have been posted on this website.
You may also want to download this document, Adobe Type Primer, which contains a lot of the information about typography that we’ve covered.