Weekly Journal #1

It has officially been one week since I moved down from New York City to Orlando Florida to begin my Disney College Program Journey. To my surprise, the trip was easier than I had anticipated. Originally I had planned to drive down with my family; a week before, those plans fell through and I had to fly down all on my own. At first I thought it was going to be the scariest thing in the world but it was much more convenient. At first I feared the flying on my own and having to navigate a completely unknown area on my own, however, after seeing the warm smiles of the concierge at the airpt, I knew everything was going to be okay. The airline service was super hospitable; I didn’t know how much a warm and excited welcome could calm my nerves until Maria welcomed me to Delta with such enthusiasm. At that moment in the airport, after saying goodbye to my family, I knew that my journey to adulthood was about to begin and I was completely excited for it.

Getting my apartment key was exciting, and because I came early, I didn’t have to wait on long lines to get my additional information. When I went to my apartment, I was shocked to see that all of my roommates had already been living in the apartment. A wave of nervousness hit me with the expectation that I had to go out of my way to include myself in the routine that was already made among the girls. To my surprise, they were all extremely friendly and super helpful in giving me advise that would make settling in much easier. I am grateful to all of them for their openness, kindness, and overall warmth.

My first three days consisted of finishing all of the required paperwork, getting my identifications, and shopping for home essentials. On August 25th, I had Traditions where I got my blue ID which meant I could finally go to Walt Disney World. It was honestly the most beautiful thing in the world. Sam, Brittany, their roommates and I went to Hollywood studios where we got to explore some of the sights, ride the Tower of Terror and Speed Rider. For the past two days, I have attended training sessions that introduces cast members to the Disney lingo, the Four keys, and all of the important details that make up the Disney look. Tomorrow I get to finally see my work locations, which is Port Orleans French Quarters working in Food and Beverage Service. New Orleans has always been a place I dream of visiting and I can imagine that working there will definitely feel like I’m actually there. To say that I am excited to see this location is definitely an understatement.

From the various info sessions that I have attended, I expect work to be both difficult yet enjoyable and fulfilling. Perhaps it is because I haven’t started yet, and have yet to experience the wave of exhaustion that comes after working a ten hour shift; however, I am truly excited to start creating magical moments. After hearing the various stories and listening to letters written to Disney about cast members that have created amazing memories, I find myself striving to provide that level of service.

or

1 Response to Weekly Journal #1

1. Jason Y. says:

If you can and feel physically up to the task, pick up doubles for extra cash. Depending on how busy your location is, this is a great way to earn some extra money while you are there. As always, make sure to cook and meal prep as there are many other things you’d want to spend your money on instead of take out!