Why Do Employees Stay? Read and React 4

“Walsh and Taylor (2007) noted that turnover was one of the main challenges to the hospitality industry and reported that turnover caused a significant loss in productivity due to the drain of experienced employees (Self and Dewald).”

We had at least two CPs self term within a month at my location (rumor is going around that a third one is quitting) so I understand the messages this article was trying to convey. And after working here for four months, I can understand why CPs would self term.

I think reminding myself that at the end of the day this is still a job and I don’t want to give up inspires me to keep the magic alive. Before arriving to Disney World, I was under the impression that guests would be crazy and racist and rude but that hasn’t really been the case. A lot of guests at my resort are real down to earth and understanding and I’ve shared lots of laugh with some of them and that definitely helps keep the magic alive. Going to the parks as a guest and refreshing also helps keep my “magic” alive too. I think we have more CPs than full time permanent employees so I’m not sure how they feel about working here but I’m guessing most of them stay for the benefits and the relationships they have developed and even for financial reasons.

I do notice that leaders/coordinators will play music for CPs so that they can dance and relieve stress. Sometimes, culinary will leave out food for us at the end of the day. There are also housing events for CPSs and cast members get to take backstage tours of the parks. November 29th is our tour of the Festival of the Lion King at Animal Kingdom. And of course we’ll have cast appreciation efforts.

On page 69 of the article, it mentions how unrealistic job descriptions can cause harm to the employee-employer relationship (Self and Dewald). It took us CPs a while to accept that just because our schedule reads that we end work at 1:30am, it does not mean that we will actually go home at 1:30am.

I think working in Food and Beverage in general is not the most exciting but a Disney quick service restaurant definitely has something extra to it that is contagious.

This entry was posted in Read and React 4. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Why Do Employees Stay? Read and React 4

1. I like that your leaders create a positive work environment, it helps get through the stress of providing personalized guest service. Mentioning about creating a realistic job description is important, creating realistic expectations is important to retaining a workforce that stays and develops.