Read & React #2

Preparing for emergency situations is an activity that is often overlooked by people and business in general. This is due to the low probability of there actually being one. However, in Walt Disney World it is the opposite. As stated in traditions, “Walt Disney World is always prepared for the worst”.  Safety comes first in Disney and as cast members, we are always made aware of it. The article, The Storms of Summer by Barbara A. Higgins, demonstrates the importance of preparing for emergency situations and it relates to the Walt Disney World as well.

One of the methods Disney uses to ensure their cast members are always prepared for emergency situations is showing videos. At the beginning of each class, meeting, tradition, or any similar event where a group is gathered together, they show us a video on safety precautions. The video shows us what we do in case of security threats, emergency evacuations, or natural disasters. This is a perfect example of Disney planning appropriately to ensure the safety of their cast members in the case of an emergency situation.

In addition to keeping cast members safe, Disney also ensures its guests are safe at all times. In my work location at Caribbean Beach Resort, there are steps in place to ensure that we cast members can provide proper guest comfort in the event of emergency situations. For example, if there is a bad storm there are tools the housekeeper can use to partner with trained security professionals to get things delivered to the guests. We as housekeepers use iPhones to keep track of the rooms we have to clean, we can use that iPhone to contact the rooms in our list and ask if they are safe and need water, towels, paper, or food. We can then make a list and partner with a security professional and get it to their room. Our iPhones in the housekeeping department are our best tools to ensure guests comfort.

The cast members in Caribbean Beach Resort also have been trained for emergency situations and what to do when they happen to ensure our safety. At Caribbean Beach Resort we are challenged with the fact that we are not completely indoors because of its concept. In the case of most emergencies, we will go to the nearest linen room in your section. We will go there because it is the nearest indoor facility where we won`t have to create anxiety for the guests and it is also the safest. It is a locked room that needs a key that only cast members have. If it is a security threat it is advised that you go there or run to what they call the safe zone. In the safe zone, there is a golf cart that will take a group to the housekeeping base.

After reading the article, Storms of a summer, I have learned a lesson that I will always relate to my future career as a manager.  I have learned that it is always important and a number one priority to be prepared for emergency situations. Not only is it the right thing to do, but if you can turn the bad experience into a good one by being prepared. It leaves a good impact on the guest. There is no way to tell when an emergency situation will occur but if you are prepared for one then there wouldn’t be such a big impact on your business and reputation.

This entry was posted in Read and React 2. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Read & React #2

1. As I sit in a snow storm (well sleet storm) I am reminded of how weather can create difficult and unexpected situations for guest. It is the cast member who will be the source of comfort in so many situations so I appreciate how Disney has made connections between human safety and the use of technology.

2. Sade O says:

Safe “D” begins with me. I know we have heard that more times than we wanted to as Disney made sure to play at at the beginning of any group gathering. At first I would be dreading it, but then I thought about how awesome it was to know that they had a solid plan in place for any event. I also work a Caribbean Beach Resort and at the moment it is under construction with the main dining hall being a tent. I love that we are kept up to date with safety precautions because it can get pretty hectic with such a large amount of people, rain storms and no roof. The article definitely correlates with what we have learned at Disney. Being prepared for any given situation is key and safety should always be priority number one.