Prof. Jenna Spevack | COMD3504_D061 | FALL 2023 | Thurs 2:30pm

Research Project Presentation-LL

Litter is a problem that affects us all and NYC has a big litter issue. There are many reasons why people litter and one solution won’t solve all; however, implementing design elements can influence certain behaviors when it comes to how people dispose of their trash. In my presentation, I explore some of the problems of litter in NYC and how other places have resolved these issues by using design in their urban planning.

1. Annotated Bibliography

1. Lizbeth Bolanos

Lola, I enjoyed watching your presentation as I also explored a topic surrounding the idea of caring for the planet and the space that we live in. I thought it was interesting that you conducted your own survey to see how the general public felt about littering, it helps support you concerns and claims very well. Your research in urban planning and design implementation for trash cans in other countries also helps support your topic, I think New York City does need to care more and needs to catch up.

2. Corey fortune

I found your presentation to be very insightful and informative and about litter in NYC. It has taught me that litter in NYC is a significant issue, impacting the city’s cleanliness and aesthetics. Efforts like public awareness campaigns, stricter penalties for littering, and increased availability of trash bins can help address this problem.

3. Jennell T

This was such an interesting topic that I wasn’t even thinking about. The pace was great, along with your use of images. Around 2:52, you talk about the bright colors used for the newer trashcans that are seen in the park. You could even talk about how pretty the trashcans are and the relationship between beauty and the idea of trash.

4. Nicolas

Great topic! It also addresses a major concern of New Yorkers. You did a great job presenting all the information from the statistics, as well as easy-to-read visuals. You also outlined different waste solutions and systems abroad that work to mitigate waste, and solutions for NYC.

5. SarahJane Hayward

Super impressive how you incorporated both primary and secondary research. I liked how you went into the different dimensions of the problem, packaging, trash cans, campaigns, and urban planning etc. I also thought it was a good move to show more successful solutions from abroad in contrast with the current problem here. Really nice video!