Celebrating the African-American Practitioners Absent From Way Too Many Classroom Lectures by Madeleine Morley, Eye on Design, 2018, Typography as a Radical Act in an Industry Ever-dominated by White Men by Silas Munro, Eye on Design, 2019, and Design Gets More Diverse by Alice Rawsthorn, NYTimes, 2011.

In this week’s reading, the fact that the font Ruben was inspired by the National Chicano Moratorium was what stood out to me the most. Mainly because I’ve used this font before but I never knew it had a history to it. So it was a surprise to me and honestly I felt proud.

How do we change the commercial design field to include a diversity of voices and visions? By increasing the visible role models of all ethnicities/races to inspire young artists to pursue a career in design. If you want diversity to increase, promote the diversity that already exists (even if it is small, it still matters). As said in the New York Times article for his reading, “…design has been a “man’s world,” but white man’s world would be more accurate.”

What will the commercial design field and the study of design history look like in 20 years? I am not 100% sure. It will probably include some new design techniques. Probably a new art movement will rise up. Maybe, and by a small chance, The percentage of white designers will lower, and there will be a higher diversity. Not saying that there will be less designers, just saying that maybe more people of color will take a chance to discover the beauty of designing.

Hypothesis Annotations: