Prof. Jenna Spevack | COMD3504_D061 | Fall 2022

Research Project Presentation – BC

Understanding the Mayas and Their Footprints Through Semiotic Theories

For this project, I will focus on Mayan communication systems, which use symbols and complex designs, known as hieroglyphic writing; to examine how they used an abstract yet powerful and effective approach to create meanings and convey ideas. Nichely, I will focus on the heritage aspect as well as the reflection of semiotics in their designs. I will then examine and demonstrate how Mayan influence is still very much prominent in one of the countries where this ancient civilization lived, Guatemala: how it continues to influence textile and fashion design in different regions. Then I will bring it back full circle and connect back to design, or rather the possible future of design.

Slide deck

Script

Video URL

Annotated Bibliography & Sources

1. Saria Tabassum

I did not have much knowledge about Maya. I liked how you used examples to illustrate symbol, icon, and index. The Guatemalan textiles were fascinating, especially the how flowers, corn, and birds can all have different meanings. I loved how you selected something historical; it was quite educational and interesting. Great job!

2. Katherine Alas

Hi Byron, I think that your video is very clear and you were able to explain symbols and signs well for someone who might not the terms. I like how you explain and give context to people who don’t know much about the Mayan culture. I like that you mentioned that languages are still spoken and that you explain that although these are historical signs from ancient civilizations that doesn’t mean that we can’t learn from them. I don’t have any advice to improve this video because I think it is great, good job.

3. Damani Douglas

Byron! I loved your presentation! It was visually engaging, aesthetically pleasing & extremely informative on Mayan culture, & its impact on contemporary Latino culture. I greatly appreciated you having an imagery-based presentation & using oration to accompany it. I appreciated the connection you drew to Mayan hieroglyphs & symbol, index, & sign in communication. I also benefitted from the connection of Mayan symbols to contemporary Latino textile. I also benefitted from your connection of Mayan hieroglyphs to modern Mayan typefaces. I also learned about the prevalence of the Mayan language “K’iche”. A point of improvement would be to draw a more direct connotation to index in communication & Mayan culture!