Hall, Sean. This Means This, This Means That : A User’s Guide to Semiotics, Laurence King Publishing, 2012 (Chapters 1 & 2) pgs 21-67.

The following chapters were interesting to read. They definitely gave me some new ideas and perspectives to think about. I especially enjoyed Saussure’s terms for sign, signifier, and signified.

When I thought of a sign, I genuinely though of something that you can see or hear about and connect it to something. For example, a traffic light. A traffic light’s overall job is to provided safety while driving. There are three signifiers, the colors. And each color signifies something differently. Red means stop, yellow means slow then and get ready to stop, and green means go. It’s something simple but it does a good job it covering it’s meaning.

As for Peirce’s terms, I can’t think of anything other to present than this add for Pears Soap.

It’s a cute little picture of a child and dog that got dirty from playing with coal. Sneakily put in there is the tub of water and the Pears Soap next to it. Symbolizing this soap is perfect to use to clean the coal stains off your child and pet.

How are non-literal devices used to convey meaning in advertising and/or social media? Sell out he product. Makeup, food, clothes. All it takes these days I the right photo and it can mean so many things. An eyeshadow palette can be advertised with no text, just showing the beautiful shades and BOOM! 100,000 sold in the span of five minutes.

I found this ad for Nikol Paper Towel. No words but it is definitely used as a metaphor. Basically saying their towels are so good and absorb so much, they are capable of turning grapes to raisins.