SBS 3201- Gender, Dress and Society

Course Description:

Throughout this course, I learned about theories surrounding appearance, clothing, and fashion, investigating their impacts on cultural identities, gender perceptions, and fashion product consumption. We explored contemporary dress from both domestic and international perspectives, analyzing it as a communication system that mirrored individuality and social status within different societal structures. By studying various technologies and types of dress, we gained insight into how dress patterns aligned with beliefs about morality, hygiene, ritual, and beauty. Upon successful completion, I provided multiple explanations for the influence of dress and body images on human behavior, connect concepts and theories of human behavior to interactions with fashion products in the marketplace, apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills to issues in the psychology of appearance and dress, and foster empowerment and social commitment to advocate positive change. Regarding general education outcomes, we comprehended and evaluated value systems within social structures and honed professional-level reading, writing, and analytical skills. The recommended textbooks we utilized included “Social Psychology of Dress” by Lennon, Johnson, and Rudd, and “Love, Loss, and What I Wore” by Beckerman.

Course Work: