BUF 4700: Contemporary Issues in the Fashion Industry

Course Description:

In BUF 4700, a senior-level seminar, I’ll delve into specialized topics within the fashion industry, exploring contemporary issues like sustainability, globalization, and ethics. The course aims to foster dialogue on fashion practices with a focus on sustainability, ethics, and socially responsible manufacturing. For the Beauty Culture, Commerce & Innovation theme, we’ll critically analyze marketing and management issues in the beauty industry, tracing its evolution and examining key innovators’ contributions to modern marketing paradigms. Through readings, films, and guest lectures, I”ve gain insights into the broader context of the beauty industry’s development and its future requirements for innovation.

I am able to demonstrate critical thinking about the socio-economic and cultural factors shaping beauty attitudes, understand how key beauty innovators utilize socio-economic events and cultural trends for brand strategy, and predict future directions in the beauty industry based on acquired knowledge. The general learning outcomes include identifying current trends, communicating comprehensively about the specialized topic, recognizing its impact on the fashion business, predicting future directions, writing a major research paper, and gaining experience in a graduate-level seminar course.

In terms of general education outcomes, I’ll demonstrate intellectual honesty and personal responsibility, gather and evaluate information from various sources, and showcase expanded cultural and global awareness and sensitivity through class discussions, research papers, and presentations.

Syllabus:

Course Work: