BUF 2246-Introduction to Textiles

Course Description:

In this course, I looked at today’s fashion and textiles business environment. I explored wholesale and retail settings to understand different textile types and how they relate to fashion merchandising, buying, and retailing. We covered topics like fibers, yarns, cloth construction, finishes, and embellishments, which will help me make informed choices for modern fashion apparel and home furnishings.

Throughout the course, I developed both theoretical and practical knowledge of textile industry strategies and techniques. I’ll learned to assess and identify various textile types, differentiate between knitted and woven goods, and understand the distinctions between branded and generic fibers. Through discussions, labs, and term papers, I dived into fiber sources, structures, and properties, evaluating different fibers using various testing methods.

Additionally, I compared spun and filament yarns, yarn twist, and different yarn types, understanding how fabric construction affects its end use. We explored textile dyeing, printing, and finishing methods, along with interpreting textile laws, regulations, and trade agreements.

In terms of general education, I sharpened my scientific reasoning skills, derive meaning from hands-on learning experiences, and foster curiosity and a desire for knowledge. The course materials included a mandatory swatch kit, an iTextiles e-textbook, and hands-on material supplements to enhance my learning experience.

Course Work: