Prof K Pelka : Monday 6:00 - 9:20

Lab #11: Background Matters

1. The first photograph pictured with a light granite background casts a shadow behind the objects and the light source coming from the opposite side. I noticed with a lighter background, the shadow contrasts better.
  2. The second photograph pictured with an espresso-colored wooden table differs from the lighter background picture because the shadow casts are in front of the objects and not as clear as the first one. It’s hard to say where the light source is coming from too.

For both photographs I increased the exposure and brightness in Lightroom. I also sharpened and added a bit of definition. In my opinion, I believe the lighter background picture stands out than the darker background because the light source and cast shadows are apparent and clear. This exercise emphasizes the importance of background and the relationship it has with the other components of the composition.

1. Ken Pelka

Darker background will make the objects lighter due to the way the meter controls exposure.
    With more dark, the camera will make the whole pic lighter while you need to use exposure compensation to correct.