DEJ

Page 41

Quotation: “Students placed greater value in professors’ feedback vs. peers’, usually ignoring peer responses unless they were forced to use them in revisions”

Analysis: I agree with is this quote because I sometimes tend to do this myself. Most of us don’t realize that our peer’s feedback can actually help us develop a better writing piece. It is important to keep this in mind for when you are analyzing your peer’s writing. It is also important to accept feedback from both teachers and peers.

Page 42

Quotation: “Students would often judge their peers’ writing based on what they thought a teacher would want, rather than their own criteria for what makes writing good”

Analysis: This is relatable because I usually stick to answering the question rather than adding more ideas because I don’t like to go off topic. However, it is good to add your own criteria because it makes your writing more interesting.

Page 43

Quotation: “Meaningful praise, then, is feedback that recognizes something that is working for you as a reader, that gives you an opportunity to have a dialogue with the author, and that expresses some sort of appreciation for the work the writer has done, or for the writer herself.”

Analysis: I never heard of meningful praise in writing. It is good to know about this. I often find myself appreciating the way authors word things in their writing. As well as their writing techniques because this allows me to incorporate similar writing techniques in my own writing.

Page 47-48

Quotation: “You may try to write your peer response using different color pens—for example, green for praise, orange for combination comments, or green to praise stylistic techniques and blue to praise ideas.”

Analysis: This is great advice. I never thought about giving feedback this way. I can use different colors to point out ideas, praises, constructive criticism, and comments. This way is more organized and it shows my peer that the feedback I am giving them can be useful and they will appreciate more rather than just leaving a simple comment. This goes back to my first analysis that most students ignore their peer’s feedback. This is most likely because their feedback isn’t organized so they won;t find it useful.