Monthly Archives: September 2018

Lost & found: Phase 4

In this project I learned things that I would have never noticed before. I was able to capture an image of something random and turn it into a piece of art. I used to walk past things on the streets without paying attention now through this project I carefully inspect the object and everything surrounding it. I could have improved my work by using better materials to give it a very interesting look. What I learned from this project I will carry on to the next and improve my skills to bring out every detail.

Lost and Found 4: Phase 4

This is my ambiguous image

This is my obvious image

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

By the end of the project, I believe, that this project was quite interesting in its own unique ways. I think that it let me get really creative and letting me use the real world, as a way to influence my images. I think that I was able to learn a few new things. I was able to distinguish and even create my own original obvious and ambiguous images.

Lost and found 4

This project helped me noticed and realized that there is art in many different ways and form all around us. My progress on this project was okay but i feel like I could have done better when it came to details, materials required and communicating with the professor to have a better understanding. However I did have fun doing project and I will try my best on future project.

Lost & Found: Phase 4

What I learned from this project is that anything can be simplified thru design, and can be used to communicate/represent something. Things I feel that I could have done better was to try not to focus so much on the detail and the lines, instead focus on shapes and finding the shapes in everything. On my next project, I will look for shapes in the image and find ways to simplify an image.

This image requires alt text, but the alt text is currently blank. Either add alt text or mark the image as decorative. This image requires alt text, but the alt text is currently blank. Either add alt text or mark the image as decorative.

Lost and Found: Phase 4

Overall, I enjoyed doing this project. Taking all the photos as I walked around different neighborhoods opened my eyes to everything around me and how interesting and intricate they could be. I was happy with a lot of the photos I took, and even ended up using some for my other course I’m enrolled in.

Having the project guidelines and following the process/phases helped me complete the project seamlessly, as well as teach me how to approach my work, and I’m sure that will help me in any future projects I work on in and out of this course.

I feel like I could have improved on my usage of tracing paper; I haven’t really used it before, but in the end I did manage to transfer my sketches over to bristol paper for inking. Although they were flipped, the overall composition of my work was preserved and I was ultimately happy with the end result.

Here are the links to my posts for each phase of this project, displaying my progress and process for this project: Phase 1Phase 2 , Phase 3

Lost and Found: Phase 1

      

My first three images are respectively of broken chicken bones, ripped loose leaf, and a stem and leaf. These images all show an obvious figure/ground relationship. The stem and leaf stick out, as well as the chicken bones, and the loose leaf is very clear and distinguishable. The paper is very geometric while the chicken bones and leaf display organic shapes. My other three pictures are of chipped wood, paint splattered wood, and a tree with moss on it. These were my choices for ambiguous figure/ground relationships. They’re all mostly organic, with the exception of the chipped wood, which shows some type of geometric shaping in the literal chipped parts of it.

The chicken bones and loose leaf were found outside a school by a bus stop; I imagined both came from a student heading home who accidentally dropped some work as they were discarding their food. The leaf and stem was found on the sidewalk by someones house; It most likely fell off and out of the persons yard as a result of wind and rain. As for the wood, I discovered both in a private parking lot by people’s garages. The wood has been chipped at for years, going through many seasons; heavy rains and winds. The paint splattered wood was more fortunate not to experience as much damage over the years, could possibly be much more fresh than the other. And lastly the mossy tree is a result of the rainy weather; The day I took these photos it was raining pretty heavy actually.

I worked on this Phase for about four hours, including traveling to take pictures, choosing and editing six images from all that I took, and then finally writing about them.

Lost & found: Phase 4 COMD1100

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/mpaularenniscom-grdesprin1/2018/09/03/project-1-phase-1-comd1100/

Lost & Found: Phase 2 COMD1100

Lost & Found: Phase 3 COMD1100

This project took quite an effort to accomplish. It required a lot of thoughts on how you can distinguish the difference between an obvious and ambiguous image. What I could of done better was adapting and learning the black and white percentage ratio and how they influence what determines an obvious and ambiguous. For the next project, I learned how the background is important and its influence on the foreground and it can be applied to our next project.

Lost & Found: Phase 3 COMD1100

Ambiguous Figure

Hours worked: 2 hours

This phase allowed me to think the difference between ambiguous and obvious in terms of black and white. The previous phase was about sketching a rough draft of the figures and determining whether they are obvious or ambiguous. This phase is related to the previous because it makes you realize the relationship of percentage of white:black for each obvious and ambiguous figures.