RAB Proposal Paragraph-Omar

My research Q is:  How has the CV pandemic impacted police racial profiling of young black men? The reason the topic caught my attention is because I’m a tall black young person from the inner city. If you didn’t know me you’ll think I’m in a gang member. So a cop looking at me they think they’re just looking at another statistic, just because of what I wear and how I look. The public’s image of all black people  is based on how some misguided black youth act.  Even if they’re not into the dangerous life, many yougn black men are profiled as dangerous. In the pandemic some people in the African Americans community had too much time off and turned to robberies and murdering. The mandated mask gave cover to some misguided black men that were anxious to commit crime and resulted in making the innocent more vulnerable to being mistaken as the culprits of crime.   

DOES THIS BELONG?  I DON”T THINK SO —

I was reading a article from the New York Times. “For Black Men,Fear That Masks Will Invite Racial Profiling” I could relate to the article when Mr. Hargrove said ““I have a sense of anxiety wearing the mask,” said Mr. Hargrove, 33, who described himself as having a “football build,” at 220 pounds. “It makes me more aware of how I’m being perceived”. Being a young tall black person from the inner city in present day society is a like threat to people that don’t know you and the cops especially with a mask on.

1 thought on “RAB Proposal Paragraph-Omar”

1. Hi Omar:

WOW this is really good!

You gave very good specific reasons why you are interested in this topic. Good !

Good NYT source.

I am excited to see what your research will turn up.

Best, Prof. Wu
    PS I notice that you are doing better now; please continue on this upward trend in your class work!