Reading Response FDouglass -Justin

1. After the young Douglass loses his mistress as his teacher, what strategies does he practice to continue learning to read? Who does he turn to for help? How does he persuade them to help him?

After Frederick Douglass loses his mistress as a teacher he befriends poor white boys. All behind his mistresses back he takes bread and his book with him when he runs errands. Frederick makes sure to do one part of his errand quickly so that he has time to converse with the poor white kids. In exchange for knowledge he gives them bread. In order to avoid his mistress getting suspicious of his whereabouts he made sure to conversate with a different boy at a different time. And with his careful execution he managed to succeed in his endeavors.

“Slavery proved as injurious to her as it did to me”

As Douglass first said in the beginning he has being treated like a normal human being, which in those times were very dangerous for the slave owner. His mistress was already putting her self in a bad position. In the beginning of Douglass’s writing he had nothing but praise for his mistress. Saying that she was a kind hearted woman and how she gave food to the poor and clothes to the naked. “Slavery soon proved its ability to divest her of these heavenly qualities.” This meant that she was influenced by the actions of slavery and became more like her husband. which was the slave head master. She was no longer the kind hearted women anymore and it was caused by her being exposed to slavery.

2 thoughts on “Reading Response FDouglass -Justin”

1. Justin — this is late HW way beyond the due date. I notice not a single student has answered one of the other 6 Qs. I am expecting that if you turn in a late HW that you are trying to show me your good intentions and hard work by studying the HW carefully and answering a NEW and challenging Q ….not just the first Q on the list and not the one everyone has answered and NOT the one I discussed in class.