Mentor Text Analysis-Devin T (Updated)

The graphic novel I read was “Home Sick Pilots”written by Caspar Wijingaard, Dan Watters. The hook they used was a line that went “I can’t move” and then a house blowing up at a certain spot. The entirety of a graphic novel is story telling, this one starts off by showing a glimpse of a future event. The panels are mostly dark except for vibrant colors and dramatic details in specific locations. Casper and Dan include a few spread out splash pages which is a panel that uses an entire page. For example after one character tells a story of a haunted house a black splash page is used for the main character’s thoughts. This novel has 152 pages. The audience here is anyone that enjoys science fiction and supernatural type graphic novels. I haven’t finished Home Sick Pilots as it is a serious but Volume 1 ends with a cliffhanger. I don’t think this series carries a message, more so just a story to entertain. I like the dramatic art style and the colors used in Home Sick Pilots and would like to use it in my assignment. The idea of normal people going through life, getting powers and the realism Casper and Dan use is nice and I might use that idea as well.

2 thoughts on “Mentor Text Analysis-Devin T (Updated)”

1. This sounds like scary adventure comic. You won’t aim for 100some pages, right. Shorter will be fine. Is this a dark story? The title is intriguing. I hope you got some ideas from this as mentor text.

Remember to build your story from your research.

1. It’s definitely an entertaining and darker read which is my thing. Proud to say I’m hooked and plan to seek out the rest of the series once I finish the first volume.It’s dark and a bit graphic from the couple chapters that I’ve read so far. 100 pages is absolutely too much unless I’m getting paid XD