Between Two Worlds-Rehana

This is the story of the time that I felt like I was living in between two worlds. My parents are from Bangladesh but I was born & raised in Brooklyn, which is why consider myself more American because I speak English a lot, eat American food, and always hang out with non-Bengali kids. Because I speak English too often I have a hard time speaking Bengali, especially in my household. I can hardly speak and understand Bengali. When I first started my school education I was a minority in the classroom and all the kids will make fun of me thinking I don’t belong here and they will say stuff like “go back to your country.” The first time I visited my country was ten years ago. at first, it was okay but then things started to go a little strange. all the kids my age or even younger than me will make fun of me for being American or being born in America.

As years went by, right now I would consider myself feeling more confident about living in between two worlds because all the kids that were making judgments about me were so young and it’s kind of nice to live in between two worlds because I can be able to teach people about my heritage. I enjoy every second of every minute of my life living here in America and I’m proud to say that I’m used to people making judgments. I’m grateful that I get to somewhat follow my tradition with my family whether it’s a holiday or a random visit to my parent’s friend’s house.

2 thoughts on “Between Two Worlds-Rehana”

1. Rehana: Here I offer some suggestions to create SCENES with CSD Concrete Specific Details.

ALSO: Do you have an idea for a good title?

This is the story of the time that I felt like I was living in between two worlds. (CUT-unncecessary}

My parents are from Bangladesh but I was born & raised in Brooklyn, which is why consider myself more American because I speak English a lot, eat American food, and always hang out with non-Bengali kids. Because I speak English too often I have a hard time speaking Bengali, especially in my household. I can hardly speak and understand Bengali. When I first started my school education I was a minority in the classroom and all the kids will make fun of me thinking I don’t belong here and they will say stuff like “go back to your country.”

The first time I visited my country was ten years ago. at first, it was okay but then things started to go a little strange. all the kids my age or even younger than me will make fun of me for being American or being born in America. [Good place to CREATE A SCENE: Where were you, in the playground of WHAT CITY? — GIVE a description of Bengali neighborhood kids hanging out — or WHERE ever you were. WHAT did the kids say “Go back…!” SHOW Me this scene with CSD from your memory. SHOW me your pain. HOW did you react? WHAT did you do / say?]

As years went by, right now I would consider myself feeling more confident about living in between two worlds because all the kids that were making judgments about me were so young and it’s kind of nice to live in between two worlds because I can be able to teach people about my heritage. {Do you have amemory a SCENE of a teaching moment when you shared your culture? – Look at Meryam Student Example where she proudly shares her Yemeni culture in a HS presentation. I enjoy every second of every minute of my life living here in America and I’m proud to say that I’m used to people making judgments. [WHAT do people say and HOW do you react now that you are older and more understanding?]

I’m grateful that I get to somewhat follow my tradition with my family whether it’s a holiday or a random visit to my parent’s friend’s house.

{SHOW me a proud moment of being comfortable in your Bengali world. WHERE is this event –with family friends? At a Bengali gathering?}

Has this experience of learning to be comfortable living in two worlds shaped who you are as a student in school? IN college? At City Tech have you joined the Bengali Club?