Writing Task Resilience — Jaqueline

One thing that’s been difficult for me throughout this pandemic has been dealing with my mental health. I struggled with depression during my sophomore and junior years of high school, and I hadn’t struggled with it again since then. I had just recently gotten my GED when the pandemic started and I was already in a very confusing and uncertain point in my life, and not being able to go outside or interact with people started affecting me more than I thought it would. I slowly felt myself spiraling down into that same headspace I was in years ago. One year of the pandemic turned into two, and I had moments where I would be better than in others. I struggled the most in the first three months of 2020 and then again from August through October. There would be days where I did nothing else but sleep, some days I would leave my room for a while and interact with my family, other days I would be as happy as a child on Christmas Day.

To avoid feeling this way, I decided to try new things. I found new artists I liked, I tried leaning to cook and bake, and I tried painting, as well as other things. Trying new things helped me a lot because they would keep me busy and distract me. I realized that in doing this, I was becoming a better version of myself. I wasn’t just bettering myself mentally and emotionally, but I was also acquiring new skills and hobbies. In trying to paint, I learned that I love art. Although I have no talent for cooking and baking, I can make a few simple dishes if needed. Now that I’m back in school I have no time for any of my hobbies, but I do feel myself getting better as the days go by.

2 thoughts on “Writing Task Resilience — Jaqueline”

1. liked: Trying new things helped me a lot because they would keep me busy and distract me. I realized that in doing this, I was becoming a better version of myself.

Good coping strategy and good explanation of what you learned.

You did a good job of reading and following my instructions.

Sounds like you are on the road to recovery. And believe me I feel this way myself. It’s been a long long journey getting through this pandemic and it takes a toll on our mental health. THanks for your honesty in telling your story.