Diet

Arrona Ettienne

Professor Krondal

Vocab: Diet

Everyone knows the word diet. Many can relate it to the type of foods they eat on a regular basis or a fitness regimen that they are following to lose weight. But I focused on how it relates to food service (cuisine based). My classmate Laurel Polanco gave all the different meanings of diet but there is one that sticks out the most. The definition she used was “Food or drink regularly provided or consumed.” In many cuisine restaurants the food is usually what’s in the diet of the people from that area. Often many food service operations try to adapt to individuals dietary needs and preferences, but when it comes to cuisine restaurants they just stick with the diet from that country.

In the picture above is from a Korean restaurant in the city (Koreatown) and it did not have anything related to a typical American diet. We ordered a beef set and it came with all the side dishes in the small bowls. When I watch Korean dramas what we ordered is breakfast.  What made us fuller was the fact that we order tteoboki (spicy rice cakes) and we just wanted to unbuckle our pants and fall asleep. A group of young Koreans came in and ordered three different sets (beef, seafood, chicken) and finished each one and still ordered desserts. It definitely showed me that every countries diet is different and sometimes it is hard to adapt to one other than your own. So many food service operations work very hard to make sure that the cuisines they make can somewhat be replicated or similar to what fits a typical American diet.

1 thought on “Diet

1. Michael Krondl

This points to the question what is, and is not, considered food by any one culture. The French nineteenth-century food writer Brillat-Savarin once wrote “Tell me what you eat and I will tell you what you are.” Note the subtle distinction between who and what.