Chapter 3 summary-Zhigang Gao

Zhigang  Gao [Gina]                                        HMGT 1101  Chapter 3 summary

10/13/15                                                           Prof. Damien Duchamp

Chapter three focuses on discuss the functions and departments of a hotel.

1. Application service provider (ASP) def: is a company that offers individuals or enterprises access over the Internet to applications and related services that would otherwise have to be located in their own personal or enterprise computers. My example: Use application service provider’s system, help hotel save time and money. For this reason, the HR and Financial department no need exit in future.
  2. Average daily rate- My example: The average daily rate used to increase when it is travel peak season.
  3. Call accounting systems- My example: Hospitality is probably the biggest industry to utilize call accounting systems
  4. Catastrophe plans- My example: the catastrophe plans include buy insurance to reduce the risk.
  5. Central reservation office (CRO) – My example: Call central reservation office to book a room.
  6. Central reservation system (CRS)- this system only used by the hotel and resort industry to take care customer’s order or booking.
  7. City ledger – thecity ledger is the collection of accounts belonging to non-registered guests. This is distinct from the transient ledger (or front-office ledger, or guest ledger), which is the collection of accounts receivable for guests who are currently registered.
  8. Concierge – My example: the concierge often had a small apartment on the ground floor.
  9. Confirmed reservations-My example: if the hotel holding my credit payment, means my reservations confirmed.
  10. Cost centers- Cost centers include research and development, marketing, help desks and customer service and contact centers.
  11. Daily report- My example: shows how many rooms sold out today.
  12. Employee right to know- My example: as an employee they have right to know their salary and profits.
  13. Executive committee- executive’s duties is to make decisions and ensures that these decisions are carried out
  14. Global distribution systems (GDS)-booking.com through these systems get information, in stance, how many rooms available.
  15. Guaranteed reservations- My example: I book a room. But somehow the certain room not available, they give me double price back.
  16. Night auditor- is a person who works at night at the reception of a hotel. They typically handle both the duties of the front desk agentand some of the duties of the accounting department. This is necessitated by the fact that most fiscal days close at or around midnight, and the normal workday of the employees in the accounting department does not extend to cover this time of day.
  17. Occupational safety and health administration (OSHA) – which sets and enforces protective workplace safety and health standards.
  18. Productivity- is an average measure of the efficiency of production. It can be expressed as the ratio of output to inputs used in the production process, i.e. output per unit of input. When all outputs and inputs are included in the productivity measure it is called total productivity. Outputs and inputs are defined in the total productivity measure as their economic values.
  19. Property management systems (PMS) – also known as PMS or Hotel Operating System (Hotel OS), under business terms may be used in real estate of mind, manufacturing, logistics, intellectual property, government or hospitality accommodation management. They are computerized systems that facilitate the management of properties, personal property, and equipment, including maintenance, legalities and personnel all through a single piece of software essayer.
  20. Revenue management- is the application of disciplined analytics that predict consumer behavior at the micro-market level and optimize product availability and price to maximize revenue growth.
  21. Revenue centers- A revenue centre is one of the five divisions of a responsibility centre – Cost centre, Revenue centre, profit centre, contribution centre and investment centre.  Cost centers, like revenue centers, only monitor costs, thereby making them a counterpart to the revenue centre.Revenue centers only measure the output (in fiscal standings) and are therefore marketing establishments which are exempt from profit generation and accountability thereof.
  22. Revenue per available room (REV PAR) – RevPAR, or revenue per available room, is a performance metric in the hotel industry that is calculated by dividing a hotel’s total guestroom revenue by the room count and the number of days in the period being measured.
  23. Room occupancy percentage (ROP) – My example: let’s assume that Company XYZ owns an apartment building that has 300 units. Of those units, 275 are rented out. Using this information and the formula above, we can calculate that Company XYZ’s occupancy rate is: Occupancy Rate = 275/300 = 91.67%
  24. Room rates- the rate charged daily for ahotel room, the room rates change every season.
  25. Room’s division- The Rooms Division consists of two sub-departments, Housekeeping and Front Office. Housekeeping used to be considered “just a cleaning department”, but hotel surveys have shown again and again that cleanliness is at the top of the list of requirements of hotel guests.
  26. Uniformed staff- some internship employees are uniformed staff. They got lower salary than other same level worker.
  27. Yield management-  is a variable pricing strategy, based on understanding, anticipating and influencing consumer behavior in order to maximize revenue or profits from a fixed, perishable resource (such as airline seats or hotel room reservations or advertising inventory).