Jazmin Rodriguez – Chapter 8 Summary

Chapter Summary

This chapter outlines the managed services segments such as airlines, military, schools and colleges, health care facilities and businesses. It describes the five factors that distinguish managed services operations from commercial ones. It discusses the need for and trends in elementary and secondary school food service, and the pros and cons concerning fast food chains on campuses.

Key Words and Concepts

1. Batch Cooking. My example: In the restaurant industry is a secret weapon to save time in the kitchen.
  2. Commercial Foodservice. My example: Includes any type of operation that sells food and/or beverage for a profit.
  3. Contractors. My example: The contractors have done a fantastic job on the renovations to our restaurant, the place looks even better than we’d expected.
  4. Daily Rate. My example: The hotel was expensive, but the daily rate included breakfast.
  5. Liaison Personnel. My example: Workers who are responsible for communication and contact between groups or units.
  6. Managed Service. My example: New York City Tech has a contract with MBJ Food Services for their food managed services.
  7. National School Lunch Program (NSLP). My example: As per the Agriculture Department 524 schools out of about 100,000 have dropped out of the federally subsidized national school lunch program since the government introduced new standards for healthier foods last year.
  8. Nutrition Education Program. My example: As a result of this new program in the schools, my children are learning to improve their eating habits.
  9. Self-Operators. My example: Are companies that operate their own foodservice operations.
  10. Tray Line. My example: The lineup of trays on which all the food for hospital patients is placed.