World II and the Cold War (1940s-1960s)
Answer the following questions about the cultural impact WWII
- What were the ways that the war entered the United States’ cultural life?
Please answer the following questions about WWII in Asia:
- What role did race play in Japan’s interest in WWII
- When did WWII start in Asia?
- How does reading about the Asian front help you understand the war in global terms?
Please watch the following video:
Many have argued that this event was the start of the Cold War
- Do you think that the release of the nuclear bomb was meant to show the US power to the USSR or to punish Japan?
- Please describe the process of the development of the Cold War. Which were the most important developments and why?
- Why was the “loss” of Cuba such a major loss for the US?
The Cold War in Europe
Below is a list of Cold War Primary sources that illustrate the development of tensions between the US/USSR. Please browse through them to address the question of when the Cold War started. Links: http://digitalarchive.wilsoncenter.org/collection/27/cold-war-origins
Need for the Berlin Wall (http://digitalarchive.wilsoncenter.org/document/117196)