It’s snowing!!!!

So it’s that cold time of year when we should expect a bit of travel disruption and shouldn’t leave the house without hat, gloves and scarves. And as it’s the first time I’ve had to scrape ice off my car in the morning I thought it was about time I turned the snow machine on and let chemstuff.co.uk be a little festive!

It’s also a good excuse to look at the chemistry of snow

Snow is of course formed in clouds where the temperature is less that 0oC (or 273K) this means that the water vapour present will start to crystallise and form a snowflake. Crystals are structures with a very high level of order and we can see this when we look at a snowflake in a lot of detail. Whilst they are not always absolutely symmetrical, snowflakes do follow similar patterns. This is because a snowflake’s shape reflects the internal order of the water molecules. Water molecules in the solid state, such as in ice and snow, form weak bonds (called hydrogen bonds) with one another. These ordered arrangements result in the symmetrical, hexagonal shape of the snowflake. During crystallization, the water molecules align themselves to maximize attractive forces and minimize repulsive forces. Consequently, water molecules arrange themselves in predetermined spaces and in a specific arrangement. Water molecules simply arrange themselves to fit the spaces and maintain symmetry.

As we know water and ice often appear clear and colourless but snow appears to be white, this is because snowflakes have so many surfaces, owing to its crystal structure, that reflect light and scatters most of the rays that hit it.

So whether we have a white christmas this year, or not. If you see a snowflake, why not start to appreciate some of the chemistry behind it!

19 thoughts on “It’s snowing!!!!”

1. I’ve always liked the fresh snow straight out the sky. I love looking at the patterns from the wind direction and trying to look at it as layers or as a whole. I love the white sky look it is beautiful. I love to appreciate the sky during all times of day and weather. I think it’s absolutely fascinating. It is absolutely amazing how science can be a beautiful thing. I love nature and I love colors, even though snow is white. Also how it’s fascinating how snow is white; due to the snowflakes having so many surfaces that it’s crystal structure reflects light and scatters most of the rays that hit it, which is interesting to learn ans raises questions. Questions such as how do you study a snow flake?

2. As I was walking through the snow earlier today, I began thinking about the chemistry of snowflakes. It’s amazing to know that each snowflake has its own size and shape and that several factors such as temperature and humidity contributes to its shape. It’s also amazing to know that there is so much chemistry and hard work that is put into making each unique snowflake, such a beautiful thing!

3. I did not step outside today because of this snowfall, but I must say I always pass the window with the need to stare at the amazement that is snow. I’m from the Caribbean so there was no snow. I love the pureness of it when it first falls and is undisturbed by foreign particles. Reading the piece “it’s snowing” shed a light about the homogeneousness and magnetisms that give snowflakes its unique form. To discern that from water a snowflake have been fashioned without the aid of human hands is humbling.

4. It is so easy to ignore the complexity and beauty of snow due to the fact that some people just hate all its about. I feel like people in New York especially are not so pleased with their experience with snow and I can completely understand why. The city is filthy. You literally have to go out right when it is done falling to get the clean white snow experience but after one day it is black because everyone is out and about. Then its piled up in corners like mini mountains of dirt then the street dries and looks ashy. That’s no fun at all. Im 20 and just a couple years ago I realized how pretty snowflakes are. I mean, I have seen drawings of snowflakes and I had projects when I was like nine to cut them out of paper but never seen that “shape” myself. A couple years ago I did and in my mind I was thinking oh so it is real. Its super pretty. On a larger scale snow is not my thing but give me visible flakes on a glass window then we can talk.

5. Although i prefer the warm weather and summer nights , snow is something you cant hate. most of the time when it rains its dark but when it snows its white and bright and its a good feel for some reason. when snow is fresh from the sky( the same day) is a great oppertunity to go out have snow ball fights with friends and or family it being a fun activity for the time being. i feel the most beautiful days are days when its lightly snowing while having this humid feel not having to wear heavy coats.

6. Although i prefer the warm weather and summer nights , snow is something you cant hate. most of the time when it rains its dark but when it snows its white and bright and its a good feel for some reason. when snow is fresh from the sky( the same day) is a great oppertunity to go out have snow ball fights with friends and or family it being a fun activity for the time being. i feel the most beautiful days are days when its lightly snowing while having this humid feel not having to wear heavy coats. LET IT SNOW!!

7. I personally prefer the warm weather rather than winter. I hate the disruption that the snow brings. I experience problems just as you have, like scraping ice off my car. Many people experience many different problems like shoveling, slippery streets, being stuck inside, etc. The crazy part about this week’s snowstorm is that on the same week it was warm as if it were spring. It’s as if Mother Nature can’t make up her mind about the weather. These are the types of unique issues we experience in New York City! You have to love the unique events that occur here. Although many hate the snow there are some ways to make the best of it like going out and participating in fun activities (like snowboarding, snowball fights, etc.).

8. When is snows I don’t think people really think to care about what the snow flakes look like. Although, if you are interested or notice usually before you even get to try and take a closer look BAM it’s melted. I do find it amazing however that the water can crystallize to form symmetrical patterns that are so beautifully structured.

9. I like snow because you don’t have to go to college .Another reason I like snow is you make snowballs and you make snow angels.I remember when I was younger I used to make snowmans with my cousin and uncle.Those were
    The fun days.When snow turns to ice it is not easy to walk on because you might be scared that you are going to fall or not.

10. When I think of snow, I think of going to Blue Mountain with my friends to go skiing and snowboarding. Something about the pile of snow makes me appreciate the beauty of nature and how magical it can be. After reading this blog post, I can also look at snow in a way how it is formed through science, in which I would of never thought of. Thanks for the post!

11. I’m from Colorado, which is about 2,000 miles west of New York City. It’s a very mountainous state and every winter it gets lots of snow — which is great for skiing and snowboarding, but not so good for driving. One of the most interesting things to me, having lived in Colorado, NYC, and also Chicago, is how different snow can be in it’s composition. In Colorado, typically snow is light and fluffy — “powder” we call it when skiing — but in Chicago it was usually soggy and dense (NYC snow is closer to Chicago, but not quite as bad!). I’m not positive but I think this relates to the humidity in the various regions as well as the proximity to large bodies of water (NYC is by the ocean, Chicago is by Lake Michigan, but Colorado is completely land-locked).

12. I’m so tired of the snow lol. I mean I really don’t mind the snow but this weather is killing me. one day we get a beautiful day with sun and all. Then the following week and a half we have a blizzard coming our way. Anyway, we should appreciate everything about our atmosphere, I just wish it wasn’t so cold sometimes lol. To me snow is nice when I’m IN my house not when I have to go to work or school. Especially when you have to end up cleaning your car And all that hard ice is stuck on it YUCK! Your post was very interesting by the way! But I’m so over the winter! SPRING COME SOON!!!!