Day One Wind-Down–and DC slide shows

Hey everyone– thanks for such a great first session. I realize this was pretty theory-heavy, but don’t worry, tomorrow we get into the nuts and bolts of the matter, like how to TEACH the stuff!

For tomorrow, please write an assignment sheet– as you would give it to students– for the culminating paper for Unit 1 of 1121. I understand that this is a draft that you’re writing overnight– so it’s gonna be ROUGH, but do your best to clarify what the question is you want your students to answer in their final paper, or what the task is you want them to perform.

PLEASE NOTE: I CAN PRINT THESE UNITS OUT FOR YOU IF YOU EMAIL THEM TO ME BY 9:15 AM TOMORROW!! (chall@citytech.cuny.edu)

We’ll be working on scaffolding and assignment design tomorrow. Robert, Jackie and I will be coming around to groups and helping you (if you want) with homework and in-class activities.

Here are links to the slide shows. Use them if you like!:

INTRO SLIDE SHOW 

DISCOURSE COMMUNITY SLIDE SHOW 

In your questionnaires, many of you asked for readings you could give to students. Many of the sample assignments have some. I will say that I find both Swales and Gee a little heady for students, so I usually assign them excerpts from Gee and show them slides like the ones I showed you. A great reading about a particular Discourse Community (The University) is “Inventing the University” by Dave Bartholomae, which you can find HERE.

There are also a number of readings about stages of the writing process posted on this website, both under “Umbrella Readings” and “Unit Readings.”