My topic of research was whether electric vehicles really are green as the automobile industry claims them to be? My research looked into behind the scenes of this particular claim, and found that even though the direct carbon emissions from the electric cars appear to be almost zero, however, the electricity produced to power these cars are generated by burning coals and fossil fuels. As a result, more carbon is released into the atmosphere compared to engine car emissions. Moreover, the manufacturing of the car’s batteries require very rare materials, extracting which can be harmful for the environment as well as for the people working on site due to fumes that are given off.

This topic matters to me because majority of the people believe that electric vehicles are completely environmental friendly. Unfortunately, most people are not aware of what goes on behind the curtains, and the automobile companies try to cover it up. People deserve to know the truth and put the companies on check for their “sugar-coated” claims. It will only help the industry grow to its full potential and actually make a difference for a greener environment.