English Composition II

Weekly Assignment 2-Day one HW

I’ve heard a lot about Trujillo growing up and I have never heard something good about him. I would say I’m a believer about the fuku tails. Many people would call it a different name like karma, what comes around goes around. I would understand why people believed that fuku was on Trujillo side but also why him? Why did fuku pick him? He was like anyone else poor living in Santo Domingo that ended up becoming a dictator. But regardless of anyone’s wealth, rich or poor Trujillo treated everyone the same. Growing up I have heard about fuku but they weren’t considered fuku. They were just another story that happened to that person. What I find difficult is how did fuku become what it is and why do people believe it was because of Trujillo. Their were a lot of dictators that were bad in some sort of way but nobody every questioned it had to be fuku. I feel like to be a believer of fuku you would have to have went through something that would be considered fuku. But people would rather do things like Zafa to not go through it and avoid fuku.

1. Johana

I honestly didn’t even think of fuku as what we now call karma, great thinking! I completely agree, I think once we read more pages or the whole book in general, we’d get a better understanding of the word fuku and why the writer mentioned Trujillo.

2. Salomee

I feel like this also shows how fuku can be interpreted as an evil eye. From my cultural background, many people strongly believe in catching the evil eye, almost like a curse or bad wishing you can get from someone. This is why some people wear bracelets or jewelry that guards them against the evil eye.

3. Zafir Ishak

I agree with you that there was another word for fuku growing up. I also agree with how it is very similar to the word karma and it has a very similar meaning. It also makes sense that you would become a believer in fuku once you’ve experienced it.

4. Ivan

It is very interesting knowing that you grew up hearing about that, something that sounds so fictional but at the same time not, and as my other peers I would also relate FUKU as karma. In my culture there is a word “aguero” wether is good “aguero” or bad “aguero” which is related to luck. For example, people would say don’t clean the house at night because it brings bad luck.