English Composition II

Week 2, HW 1

In “The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao”, the author explains the meaning behind the word fukĂș. It seems like he’s explaining the meaning so that we, the readers, can understand what a hold this word has on the people of Santo Domingo. The author explains that fukĂș is a “curse or doom of some kind” that came to the New World by Europeans to the island of Hispaniola. It is something not to be messed with and if you did, then you would have the same fate as those who tried to assassinate Trujillo, so the author says. Like Kennedy, who was cursed for ordering the assassination of Trujillo and his entire family would suffer. The author also explains how it is believed that the Vietnam war resulted in disaster for the U.S. due to a fukĂș. He goes on to say that everyone in Santo Domingo has a fukĂș story, meaning it’s something that many people believe in and their life decisions are based upon not bringing about a fukĂș.

I understood this concept of a fukĂș since I remember hearing about curses growing up. My grandmother,  would always blame any calamity that came upon a person or family to some kind of curse. She would always say that it was because they wished ill upon someone, did something bad to somebody and the spirits are angry. It seemed to be something that had a hold on her, and she mentions it all the time. She’s always buying things that help in keeping the bad spirits away from her house, like some kind of amulet or a blessing over her door in order to keep “the bad thing” away. To me this is all superstition and I try not to think about it, because by the sound of it, it messes with a lot of people’s peace.

1. Johana

I agree with you, like someone mentioned before, fuku is like karma. What goes around comes around, that’s why it’s best to always treat everyone the way you would want to be treated which is kindly and with respect.

2. Salomee

I agree with both of you. Especially about karma, I haven’t thought about that before and it makes perfect sense.