Concierge Marketing Assignment
20% of total course grade
Selection of NYC Attraction is Due Before Class Begins, Week 5
Written Assignment is Week 7, submitted via Blackboard
Presentation with Visual Aids is due Week 8, Submitted via OpenLab
Scroll down for a copy of the assignment in file format.
You are the Chief Concierge of an upscale hotel in Manhattan; you will conduct research to learn about a historically significant tourist attraction in New York City. This information will be used when you conduct a team training for your staff.
Identify the hotel where you are the concierge_______________________________________
Consider all that New York has to offer visitors and New Yorkers alike, consider a tourist attraction that has historic significance to the culture of New York; perhaps a museum, an art gallery, a park, a sports arena, a restaurant, monument, festival and so much more. Make a list that contains four historically significant New York tourist attractions and find a resource stating why it is significant.
List Four NYC attractions of interest
Choose one location to research, write and present about
Chosen NYC Attraction: __________________________________________________________
Academically reliable source: ______________________________________________________
Research 1) what is the attraction’s significance to the culture of New York? 2) Why does the author consider it a tourist attraction? 3) what makes the attraction unique?
Location Selection (only one student per attraction)
- Share your chosen tourist attraction on the OpenLab as a comment on the “Concierge” page. Include a statement explaining why this site is culturally significant to New York.
- Include an APA formatted reference
Format of the Submission
Written portion, 2-2½ page essay (10% of total grade)
- Exhibit the ability to evaluate the importance of the historically significant New York City tourist attraction expressing 1) the attraction’s significance to the culture of New York; 2) why the authors of the articles consider it a tourist attraction 3) the unique features that a visitor to the attraction might seek
- APA format and standards, proper grammar, sentence structure, spelling…
- Minimum of three academically reliable citations and references
Oral presentation (10% of total grade)
- The role of the student in this portion of the assingment is that of Chief Concierge who creates a training video for the concierge of their hotel (see page one).
- Role: Chief Concierge
- Audience: Members of the hotel staff who report to the Chief Concierge
- The presentation is 2-2.5 minutes long (it should not be longer or shorter)
- Content should include
- Name of historically significant tourism attraction
- The category of tourism a visitor may engage in at the attraction
- Special features of the tourism attraction
- What a visitor should consider about the tourism attraction
- Transportation, cost, accessibility, food options and/or other important information that a visitor would need to know
- Create a powerpoint or other visual aid to support the information in the video
- Create a video using a mobile devise recording feature or zoom
- Save the video to YouTube or other sharing platform
- Change the video privacy setting to “unlisted” (this will create more privacy)
- Create a post on the OpenLab, choose the category “Concierge Presentation”
- Write a short introduction
- Add the link to the video
- Add the visual aid
- Discuss scope of the hospitality and tourism industry
- Gather information from observation in regard to the hospitality industry from a local, national and global perspective
- Evaluate and examine hotel classifications
- Engage in high impact and industry specific written and oral communication
Leave a Reply