Chelsea Market Tour

One place that caught me and Christley attention was the Manhattan Fruit Exchange. It is packed with tons of incredible ingredients that you might not find and regular supermarket. These items that we find were phenomenal crazy!

Like cardone, which is also called the artichoke thistle, and who know it is part of artichoke family?! Ugly Fruit? Look more like rotten that no one will want to buy for $2! Kiwano Melon which is cross between cucumber, zucchini, and kiwifruit, in addition, it tastes more like a banana after it is ripen. Buddahand is actually a distinct fruit in the citron family. Its skin can be use for candy in dessert. Passion fruit I use it to make bubble tea majority of the time because of the awesome smell it gives out, but the actual fruit itself is cute-small yet UGLY! Pepino melon in Spanish mean sweet cucumber, but in a eggplant family. Yes, WOW!

Great experience throughout the Chelsea Market tour!

Manhattan Fruit Exchange 20160302_151343 20160302_151358 20160302_151404 20160302_151409 20160302_151427

13 thoughts on “Chelsea Market Tour

1. Ejones

Visiting Chelsea Market was a great visual experience. There are many savory and sweet delights to try and unusual foods to discover. We visited Fran’s Whey and I tried the strongest blue cheese that I’ve ever eaten in my life. I liked the taste, it woke up all of my taste buds. It was tangy, salty and creamy. It is very overpowering eaten by itself but would be great addition to a salad or water crackers.

We also visited Seed & Mill, where they serve a sweet called Halva. It’s basically sesame paste that’s mixed with hot sugar syrup to form a candy or confection. It was a bit crumbly yet a bit fluffy at the same time. Other common flavors of halva are pistachio and marble, which has chocolate swirled in. I liked the halva, it has an interesting texture, like when you eat cotton candy. However, I wouldn’t eat it by itself. I think it would be better served as a garnish for a dessert.

I also visited the Lobster Market and it was is magnificent and everything was fresh, fresh, fresh. Fragrant even. The Lobster Market offers anything edible that comes from the ocean, raw or steamed. They even had varieties seafood that I’ve never seen before. Like a fish called Turbot, which is a type of flounder and razor clams – they share the same shape as a closed straight razor.

With the huge variety and selection offered at Chelsea Market, it would be ceasy to visit multiple times and never ever get bored.

2. Jendayi

Visiting Chelsea Market was actually my first time ever. It was a new experience for me and very fulfilling. I just expected it to be a market with food, because of the name. But when I arrived it was something completely different. Being able to go into the different stores and looking at the variety of items they sold was exciting, because I came across a lot of things I’ve never heard of. For example, the “Budda Hand,” which I ended up learning it’s a citrus fruit. I also was enlightened by the store Seed & Mil. Tasting and also learning about the ingredients that are used in their items was fascinating. Because you would never think that you can incorporate the ingredients they use together.

3. David Liu

It has been a while since I have been to Chelsea Market and it was a fine reminder that this is one of the best places to go to in NYC if your looking for some good authentic ingredients. From my past knowledge of the place I, did not go exploring much of the stores because it felt like I didn’t have a need too but after this tour I was able to find a few stores that caught my interest. Besides the Bowery Kitchen where I buy tools here and there, and the spice shop that is just filling the place with aromas from around the world, I found an authentic Italian shop that amazed me called Buon Italia. As I am working in a Italian restaurant at the moment, I was surprised to see so many authentic goods from Italy shipped all the way to the states and in such a nice little shop too, well not a little shop. It had a great selection of cured meats from duck to proscuito, to sopresatta, and other salumis. They had Pan Angel which is practically Italian baking powder and I have only heard of it because of one of the advanced pastry classes. It was also surprising to see them selling foie gras and in such a huge quantity, I think about 2 pounds in a bag worth almost $100, they had truffles, cookies, snacks, preserved goods, pickled goods, and so on that was super authentic and it was a great experience just being able to find this shop

4. alyssahernandez

Going to the Chelsea Market it was my first time ever going there. I didn’t know what to expect at first but walking into it, was actually pretty cool. It reminded me of Industry City but a better version of it with more shops and more variety of food. In the beginning we walked around in groups and found lots of interesting things. I noticed that they had a place that made pies such as chicken pot pies, macaroni and cheese, and many more. I brought the Chicken Pot Pie which was absolutely delicious it was so flaky the crust and had chunks of chicken and the seasoning was just right. Another thing that I got to taste was Halva, never before have I ever tasted it and it was so good. The texture was like crumbs and the flavor was too good, one of them reminded me of a cookie. Overall it was a great experience going to the Chelsea Market and I will definitely be going back to try some of the other shops. I would especially go back with my mom so she can see the seafood store because she loves seafood and sushi. I am looking forward to going back to the Chelsea Market.

5. ArielWong

This was my first time at Chelsea Market and I was so overwhelmed by how many shops there were. What store that caught my attention was Seed + Mill. It was a very interesting experience for me, especially learning something new like about halva and tahini. It was a really nice experience to taste their products and learn what are the ingredients, where they make it, and how it was made.

6. Eortiz

This was the first time i had ever gone to Chelsea Market, it was amazing to see such life in this building with so many people going in and out and visiting these unique stores. They not only had food places but clothing stores and workshops which i thought interesting.

Walking along the Market and smelling the different shops aromas n spices was really intriguing, it felt that every section of Chelsea Market had its own atmosphere. The one shop that stood out during the tour was Seed + Mill where the owners told us the history and procedures of the Tahini/Halva cake.

The Halva had a very unique texture sort of buttery & grainy with a cotton candy finish in the palate, first time ever trying a greek pastry but very delicious. it will go excellent with crackers or bread.

7. Krystal

It wasn’t my first visit to the Chelsea Market, it is one of my most beloved place to visit during my free times. It changed a lot since my last visit, many store had closed and many new ones have opened. It is amazing to see many different varieties are happening in the market and many are growing day by day. The Halva was an interesting dessert, it crumbles in my mouth, a little dry but bearable. Overall it was very fun to try it out since I never heard of Halva nor anything similar to it.

8. Jose Banegas

This was my first time to Chelsea Market which is odd since Chelsea is a neighborhood that I frequently come to. It completely surpassed my expectations with how open it felt while still maintaining the fact that you were inside a large enclosed building. Without even diving into the different shops, the architecture was just outstanding. It gave the market a vibrant yet rustic charm to it and how all the shops were placed and organized giving you a bit of everything wherever you went.

Speaking on the food, much like everyone else, Seed + Mill was my main highlight with how unique of a delicacy Halva was and just how it was a desert made of sesame seed butter essentially. The fact that there were so many flavors to choose from as well made me want to try them all. I had a sample of the chocolate orange halva and it was slightly dry for my taste but the sweetness and buttery finish was kind of exciting and it made me want to try more.

Another store I would like to highlight was the Lobster Place which was quite the treat with how cleanly they presented their product and the wide variety of seafood they had at hand. You could definitely tell how fresh it was and having some sushi from there was also nice, my first time trying sushi as I’m not one to try raw food. Was pretty good though wasabi and soy sauce wasn’t my cup of tea so hopefully sushi is able to be complimented with other sauces/condiments. Otherwise sushi was great and so was the Chelsea Market experience.

9. richardburen

Chelsea Market is a place where you can get unique, diverse, superior and ingredients also try new trends and cuisines. Since the last time I was there , they added new café and shops like a chocolate shop, pastry shop, Italian sandwich shop, and shop called Seed + Mill which sells Halva a dessert made of tahini. The new shops brings in more culture and opportunity to explore what Chelsea market has in store. The scavenger hunt to find new ingredients or items that we are not familiar with, made us gain more insight in how many different cultures are involved in Chelsea Market. Some of the items or ingredients that people found interesting like the buddha hand I was able to explain in because I worked with it in my Culinary Improv class.

10. Amy Sung

Chelsea Market is the place you want to visit, foodie or not. There will always be something new you will discover every time you go. I think when you first step in, you can be overwhelmed with how many shops are in this so place called market. It’s always cool to check out the lobster market and try out the food they make with it. The delicious smell of the soups and bisques in the back will make you salivate.
    Checking out some of the shops in the market, I realized that mixing two cultures and making it into a fusion cuisine is the new thing to do now. Takumi mixed Japanese and Mexican cuisine together like a sushi burrito or bowl.

11. lisette18

This wasn’t my first time at Chelsea Market. I had gone before, but its been a while. Things have changed a bit. There are places that weren’t there last time, or maybe I didn’t notice before. Chelsea Market doesn’t disappoint. This location is perfect because everything is under one roof. It provides customer with a little of everything and great quality products.

Like most of my fellow classmates said, we visited Seed + Mills. This is were for the first time in my life I tried Halva. When the professor let us go exploring on our own, I passed by this place but really didn’t bother with it because it look weird. But luckily I got to try it. It was something new to my taste buds.

Overall it was a great experience. This is a place I recommend people to go to. Its worth the trip.

12. Laura Chierchia

Chelsea Market a culinary mecca for foodies of all kinds. I have been there dozens of times but was quite impressed with the additions. Seed + Mill is a nice little company that serves Halava as was very happy to hear that half of their products are vegan so I was able to enjoy a sample of a few. I was most impressed with beyond Sushi a vegan sushi place right inside the market.

Overall although I couldn’t indulge in some of the tastings there were many options for me and I thought it was a great experience.