Ladies and Gentlemen!

Monday’s quiz will cover material from the midterm exam through the end of today’s class, so: “Parties and Claims” (ch. 4), “Causes of Action and Remedies” (ch. 5), “Commencing the Action” (ch. 8), plus the definitions of “summons” and “complaint” we discussed today.  As always, review all of your own class notes, the class notes posted here under the “Class Notes” tab, the assigned readings, and any other materials you find useful, and bring your CPLR.

If you’d like to observe the federal civil trial tomorrow in Manhattan (Thursday, April 4), you are welcome to meet me near the turnstiles inside the the 259 Adams St. entrance to City Tech (near the entrance to the bookstore,  Pearl and General Buildings) at 9:45am then we’ll walk to the 4/5 train and take it  to the Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall stop.  OR you can travel to the courthouse on your own, at any time, website is here and street address is below.  The trial is Morgan v. United States, Docket No. 14 Civ. 7921 (DCF), in Magistrate Judge Freeman’s courtroom, number 17A (on the 17th floor).  I’ll leave the courthouse about noon to return to City Tech by 12:45pm, you’ll be welcome to join me or you can stay as long as you’d like!  (They have a great cafeteria.)  If you plan to attend the trial, it would be great if you could email me to let me know so I can keep an eye out for you, but if you decide last minute to attend, that’s fine, you can just show up!

Please note: this is VOLUNTARY and you may NOT miss other class(es) to attend.

Here are the pretrial briefs of the plaintiff, Mr. Morgan (the prisoner) and the defendant, the US government, that summarize each side’s arguments in the case, in case you’d like to read them.

See you tomorrow, and/or enjoy the rest of the week and the weekend!

Prof. C.

COURTHOUSE INFO:

United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
Daniel Patrick Moynihan United States Courthouse
500 Pearl Street
New York, NY 10007-1312