Court Observation

On Tuesday,Ā March 5, 2019, I observedĀ a civil case. I went to the N.Y.C Family Court, Kings CountyĀ locatedĀ at 330 Jay Street, Brooklyn NY 11201. When I came in, there was a massive line for security, and I was waiting in line for about 15 mins. After going through security, I asked a fellow officer to direct me to the clerk’sĀ office. He advised me to go to the 7th floor. When I foundĀ the office I spoke to a clerk named SusanĀ I explained to her the assignment that I haveĀ to sit in a trial for 2 hours and observe it. The clerk called several parts until she found a case that was suitableĀ for me. She then directed me to the 10th floor part 3 to observeĀ a caseĀ about child protective/ neglect abuse. When I walked into the courtroom the judge asked me who I was so I explained to him that I’mĀ a student fromĀ city tech studying law and paralegal studies and thatĀ it’s my assignment to sit through a civil court proceeding, so hisĀ response was welcome to the courtroom I hope you enjoy it. In a few words the case was about the mother was who diagnosed with schizophrenia but did not follow through with her medication; therefore, the childrenĀ were placed under the grandmother’s protection.

1. Kerin E. Coughlin

Zara, thanks for this summary, it sounds like an interesting case! I look forward to learning more about it in your memo.
    Prof. C.