Toyin and Abigail

05/16/2018 just before I gave one hell of a speech in a Hotel just west of Times Square.  Toyin who’s story I wont share here out of respect for her privacy , posed with me at the luncheon that afternoon, just before me her spoke.  The crowd was a mix of people from rhe five boroughs and the world. Individuals  completing a myriad of recovery programs including substance abuse, sexual assault,  domestic violence , trauma counseling and so on.On the stage located downstairs,  I  literally, with no idea how long it would take, with no idea of what lied before me,  vowed and set out to start in Paralegal Studies program at CityTech..

So when I say my head is still spinning, I mean it. Because I literally had no idea I would be sitting up in class at 7:45am little more than 3 months and 11 days later. Yet that is exactly what happened.

This statement holds three essential truths.

One and most importantly is being born differently abled is not synonymous with being defeated from birth. We have far more going for us and are far more capable than anyone  realizes.

Two the only limits to human endurance and spirit are those we place on ourselves. True we can’t fly by wishing it. But someone had to have the unincumbered imagination to invent airplanes.

Last but not least. When we endeavor on something, being born of love, of passion, that bears the very essence of our soul then there is nothing we cannot accomplish. Not one damn thing.  To.that testament , it took over one year from.the photo , for the certificate below to reach my hands.  On 8/23/2016 , just three days after my birthday.  It took me chasing it down , making  phone calls.  But it did, and so the same will be with my Paralegal Studies and my Law Degree.  It may take a lot of energy and a hell of an emotional roller coaster. But I am determined  to have it and I will make it happen.

<3

Certificate for Completion of Trauma Counseling Services