Poetry

The poems, “she being Brand” by E.E. Cummings and “Coming Home, Detroit, 1968” by Philip LevineĀ are very different. It is true that eachĀ poet uses a carĀ as a metaphor, but not in the same ways.

E.E Cummings uses a car to communicate the message that he lost his virginity. Cummings writes about the ways that you would control and maneuver a car to describe his first sexual experience. This is evident through the very first line, “she being Brand new; and you know consequently a little stiff I was careful of her” and later on at the end of the poem, “it was the first ride”.

Phillip Levine’s “Coming Home, Detroit, 1968” isĀ graphic justĀ likeĀ E.E. Cummings’s poem; not in a sexualĀ manner but a violent one.Ā Levine’s poem describes theĀ race riot thatĀ broke out in Detroit during the late 60’s.Ā Levine describes a scene whereĀ everyone is wreaking havoc around him and there is nothingĀ he can do to help the situation, “One brown child stares and stares into our frozen eyes until the lights change and you go forward to work… We burn this city every day.”

I will use my pink toyĀ Cadillac for our next shoot to help communicate the message of each poem.Ā I think settingĀ up the CadillacĀ against a black background with the car evenly lit as the main focus might be the way to goĀ for “she being Brand”. Or maybe havingĀ one portion of the car lit instead of the entire thing making it look as if there is something occurring inĀ one part of the car giving the feeling of privacy and mystery might also work. As for “Coming Home, Detroit, 1968”, I think that I will have the toy car back lit, facing away from the camera going towards an orange light. The orange will represent the burning city and the car inevitably being a part of it.

One thought on “Poetry

1. rmichals

It is funny how without ever using an explicit word the e.e. cummings poem is extremely clear. the experience is awkward but not bad. maybe even successful in the end. The car here is the site of intimacy, experimentation, adventure. In Coming Home, Detroit, 1968, I don’t think it is directly violent. Certain violence has been done both in the form of industrial pollution and social injustice that leads to rioting. The poem witnesses the aftermath. There is certainly despair in the words.