Robin Michals | COMD 1340 Photography 1

HW 1- Photo Description

https://www.suzannesteinphoto.com/New-York-Street-Two/i-xsDjBL4/A

The photo I chose was titled “East Village” taken by Suzanne Stein, from her New York Street Two Photography collection. The photo consists of two people passing by each other on the street. One is an old man holding a green bag, and the other is a little girl with three dog balloons. I think the photographer’s intention was to capture a typical scene in the streets of New York. But with the positioning of the photo, it looks like it was captured in a rush. I’d say this image gives me a somber feeling just because of the age difference between the two subjects, or the difference in carried things, showing their different priorities. In addition to how they’re facing different directions; him towards us, looking straight ahead of him, while her more turned away.

The rule of thirds, patterns and diagonals are the formal elements that can be seen used by the photographer. The use of rule of thirds could be seen in the space between the two subjects and their placement towards the left side. Although they take up two-thirds of the image instead of one, they still align with each third in a grid. This positioning may be so because the girl is walking at a quicker pace than the old man. Pattern can be seen in a couple of things like the vertical lines in the old man’s flannel or the gridded box to the left, but I feel like it’s more prominent in the brick wall background, and the black and white vertically striped dress of the girl. Additionally, the squares in the background seem to also create another pattern. However, I think it applies to diagonals as well because the squares help outline the perspective from which the picture was taken from.

1. rmichals

Good choice of photo. The image is both funny and a bit sad as the old man walks by the girl seemingly not noticing her dog balloons. As you say, the meaning of the photo revolves around the age difference of the two subjects.