Write Out Loud!

Introductions – Diana Zhang

Here’s a picture of the Knights of the Round Table where King Arthur is a girl. I downloaded this so that it could become my background. Just don’t try to think about it too much since various other creative licenses were taken.

1. Start with one word that describes how youā€™re feeling about this course as we get started (it could be the same one you mention in class). No need to explain that word, but you can if you want to.

If I were to express my feelings into one word, it would be, err, embarrassed? I have a feeling that I’ll have to write a lot about my personal narrative and thoughts. Which I unfortunately don’t have much of due to my lack of consciousness. They say to talk about my life experiences but I don’t have much going for me either because I forgot or because nothing happens in general.

2. Next, talk about your worries, concerns, reactions to class and/or to the ā€œTipsā€ readingsā€¦ whatever you want. No censoring (except for keeping it more or less clean).

I have worries. In the eighteen years of my academic carrier, I have never created a piece of writing that doesn’t make me writhe in my bed in the dead of night should a clear recollection of it ever cross my mind.

As a troubled student, I have heard many variations of these tips and have practically heard them everywhere. And yeah, of course you should do all these things if you want to succeed. But its always hard to apply in the moment. I have enough self control to not do something unimportant but not enough self control to do something. So in the end, I just spend my time laying down and thinking that I have to do something important while pretending to do something else that is productive.

So about the course itself, I’m pretty bad at writing. But I like reading a bit.

3. If you think you might have technical issues being fully online this term, add that here. That will help us both!

Fortunately, I don’t think that I will have too much technical issues. Everything runs just fine on my end.

4. Then tell us a little about yourself: major, where you came from if youā€™d like to tell us, that kind of thing.

Well, ok so its a bit complicated. I did move around quite a bit but if there was anywhere that I would say that I lived longest in the Glen Cove but I have been raised as a toddler in China and now live in Fresh Meadows. In fact, my parents own a restaurant there which is cool. I might go into computer science. But, I will probably change my mind as it has been 8 years since I’ve owned a device that is not a mobile phone or tablet. I cannot type with multiple fingers and without looking at the keyboard. I guess it was my fault for not kicking the habit during computer lab in elementary school.

I like to say that I like anime but I haven’t watched a series in three years. But I do play gacha games like F/GO and Genshin Impact and look at other anime related things.

5. AND and tell us a little about the story of your name. Who gave it to you? Is it a family name? Part of your culture? Do people treat you differently because of it? Are you proud of it or do you with it was something else?

So about my name, I was told that I’m named after Princess Diana, who was a big inspiration to my mom. I also have a Chinese name that resulted in my nickname being fish.

I wasn’t really treated differently for my name since its pretty normal.

1. Jade Whittingham

I also play FGO and Genshin Impact, do you have a favorite character from either game?

• Diana Zhang

I lave various characters that I like so its hard to choose a favorite. I do get irrationally angered though if I accidentally put Mashu anywhere else on the party other than first in a story related quest.

• Diana Zhang

As for genshin, I like Kaeya because I like seeing his long legs run. He also remind me of Robin Hood because of his voice and sneakiness. I also like Beidou because of long legs and she reminds me of Francis Drake. I havenā€™t seen her in the story yet tho. Despite the long legs, I donā€™t like Lisa very much. Sheā€™s not to fun to play as and thereā€™s too much ara ara. I also just like swords and canā€™t really use anything else yet.
        I usually end up using the Traveler because story. My younger sister likes Chong Yun a lot tho.

2. arleny

Hi Diana! I just want to say I really like your of style of writing!!! Just reading through your introduction makes me feel like we’re having a conversation :))

• Diana Zhang

Thanks I made it into a interview because Iā€™m not really great at writing anything else.

3. Jacquelyn Blain

I’m with Arleny — I really like the way you write! Making it like an interview was a smart and very creative and gutsy choice. You write well. And, as I said to William, I always hate everything I write. So you’re in good company! šŸ˜€

Fish, huh?