Jacquelyn Blain

Reflection

Before I started I didn’t know anything about this topic. When i did research in the past i never did a rhetorical analysis. Something that. Learned from doing research this way is that a story or a text is not always target to everyone, they can have specific audiences. Something that I learned about myself as a researcher is that its hard for me to find the context and differentiate it from the message. What i learned about analyzing something rhetorically is that there are different tones for different purposes. I don’t think that it something that I will do in the future because I feel like it takes up a lot of time, if it was something that was easy for me to do then yes but I do struggle with it so its a no for me. The hardest part of the annotated bibliography had to be the rhetorical analysis. I tried to figure it out by looking at other peoples work but i was still confused.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

I hear you. And here’s the thing about doing rhetorical analysis — if you can take apart a communication situation even a little bit, whether it’s at work or with friends or even just seeing/reading something, you’ll be able to deal with it in a much clearer way. In fact, if you’ve ever caught yourself saying something like “eh, that’s just how she is” when somebody says something annoying, you’ve actually done rhetorical analysis because you just reacted to the author! Or for a class — “that’s the way the prof wants it because that’s what he always wants for these kinds of assignments” is another rhetorical analysis of the “author”! So it’s just a tool to help you figure out what’s going on in a situation.