Inspiration Marcel Christ

This photo by Marcel Christ is a non-commissioned work using the COCO Chanel perfume but with a corner of it exploding from the side. To me the thing that makes this a successful photo is because of the impressive use of the extremely fast shutter speed to capture the very second the bottle explodes at the perfect position. Also composition wise I think that this is a strong photo. The subject is bold in terms of its placement, color, contrast, and movement with the explosion. The bottle is a deep yellow color that stands out with the background nicely and is centered in the middle of the background. This photo also uses rule of thirds by having the explosion in the corner of the bottle which attracts the eye to that corner first which shows hierarchy. Overall all aspects of this photo are very strong and it is a well composed photo.

One thought on “Inspiration Marcel Christ

1. rmichals

I find this photo really interesting but I can also see that it is a photo that Chanel might not like. What does the exploding liquid say about the perfume?

Also, most liquid photos are shot with strobe light and it is the flash duration not the shutter speed that generally captures the splash. I haven’t really emphasized this in class but I will try to go over it.